CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
If I carried it point-forward and did happen to bump into somebody (I walk a lot on busy city sidewalks) the metal-sheathed point would have my weight and bodily impetus behind it. As I am over 200 lbs and tend to walk briskly, that could be dangerous.
This seems a rather obvious and powerful point (no pun intended) in favor of the handle-forward carry, which I also favor.

nicksull

But does the military event rules require them to carry unopened umbrellas?

If so, what is the point in carrying something that serves no purpose (other than to walk around in the rain with something that can keep them dry, but they must, by "rules", not use it)?

Again - I have no problem with the rules saying you cannot proceed wiht opened umbrellas. But I have a hard time believing (I am not accusing anyone of lying) that the military rule also REQUIRES you to carry an unused umbrella.

THAT is what I don't understand . . .
You are not required to understand. It is what it is. So far in this thread we have heard of British German Czech and American military traditions all making mention of the spurning (either by never carrying or by carrying but not opening) of umbrellas. Surely it must be a genuine tradition then. I suspect it is less a standing order than an unwritten tradition in the military. But id love to know more if anyone can unearth it.

Cardcaptor Charlie

Inactive user
Look at this link and study the pictures and the article itself (it pretty short).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-454526/Bradford--Kingly-Wills-Harry-bowler-hat-parade.html

I really do not like to "judge" other people, but I think that a rule forbidding someone from opening an umbrella to protect themselves and their bespoke clothing while they have the umbrellas in hand (!!!!!!) is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

Although I am not privy to their sartorial expenditures, I am fairly certain that all of their clothing is bespoke.

If they can't USE the umbrella, WHY SPEND A FORTUNE ON IT AND WALK WITH IT?

It is behavior like this (attached to certain "rules" that probably everyone has forgotten why the rule even exists or was started) that leads to class-warfare arguments. I think a good size of the population that would see these pictures and read the article would probably conclude:

"Good grief - I may be poor and may not have a good education, but at least I have enough sense to get out of the rain."

I think highly of the princes, and believe they have carried on extremely well since the death of their beloved mother.

BUT COULDN'T SOMEONE TELL THEM TO PLEASE OPEN THEIR UMBRELLAS OR GET OUT OF THE RAIN?

GEEZ . . .
As others have said, they are on official parade. Plus, it would be cumbersome to have all big umbrellas opened when everyone is huddled together (their hats offer some protection). Of course, when they are in civilian mode, they can open them as they wish.

flatline

Clarification: when holding the umbrella with the point forward you aim it towards the floor at a diagonal angle and not horizontal.

As you can see, none of the pictures cited thus far in the thread (including Will's) show someone holding an umbrella pointed toward the ground in front of them (either end). The anatomy of your hand makes this uncomfortable, if not nearly impossible. You can do it when your arm is straight down at your side by rotating your wrist down, but doing so is quite uncomfortable and as soon as you move your arm, the brolly is back up in someone's business. I think we should just agree to let this issue die, but I'm even more confused now as to how one could comfortably carry an umbrella in this manner.

McKay

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
NB
Fredericton
I don't know the customs of this particular regiment, but I would guess that it's something they do to commemorate some event in their history. Various military customs exist on that basis, not unlike some religious ones.

As a somewhat-related example, I understand that graduation parades at Sandhurst end with the entire parade -- including the horses -- going into one of the buildings and slamming the front doors behind them. I gather that this happened spontaneously some years ago when it began to rain near the end of the parade, and has been done ever since...

It's not necessarily a practical thing. It's part of the rich culture and heritage of the armed forces.

Joe_b

The anatomy of your hand makes this uncomfortable, if not nearly impossible. You can do it when your arm is straight down at your side by rotating your wrist down, but doing so is quite uncomfortable and as soon as you move your arm, the brolly is back up in someone's business. I think we should just agree to let this issue die, but I'm even more confused now as to how one could comfortably carry an umbrella in this manner.
here you go (please excuse my tshirt and jeans):

JibranK

If so, what is the point in carrying something that serves no purpose (other than to walk around in the rain with something that can keep them dry, but they must, by "rules", not use it)?

Again - I have no problem with the rules saying you cannot proceed wiht opened umbrellas. But I have a hard time believing (I am not accusing anyone of lying) that the military rule also REQUIRES you to carry an unused umbrella.

THAT is what I don't understand . . .
It's part of the civilian dress code for Guards Officers. Every military has its traditions. For example, the US services, as a rule, wear polyester uniforms... :D

Taliesin

United States
DC
Washington
It's part of the civilian dress code for Guards Officers. Every military has its traditions. For example, the US services, as a rule, wear polyester uniforms... :D
Combat uniforms, for sure, since 100% cotton is often impractical ("cotton kills" is what they say in the Rockies).

But you are wrong regarding dress uniforms. For example, here are the Navy uniforms that Brooks Brothers manufactures:

Luxurious 100% worsted wool fabric that is wrinkle resistant, absorbs moisture, and breathes, making the garment warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
https://www.navy-nex.com/command/about_us/premier-uniforms.html

nicksull

1.Carrying:
Point down towards the ground although i found this lethal suggestion....hell take someone's eye out like that...

2.Walking
Here is a frozen moment in the trajectory of a city gents umbrella - just before thrusting the point forward to claim (as if for Britain) another piece of pavement.
Thomas Fink's The Mans Book Has a hilariously precise analysis of the swinging rhythm of an umbrella while walking. I'll try to dig it out.

2. Unfurling in the rain? Apparently this getty image - which is captioned "This City Gent has clearly forgotten what his umbrella is for.." Or not....

KennethB

United States
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Oh good Lord, where is the common sense. If you are a civilian, and it looks like it is going to rain, carry an umbrella. Be considerate and careful and do not poke anyone's eye out. It if rains, open the damn thing and enjoy it's protection.

If you are bound by some 'tradition,' I guess you'll have to obey it - but I for one will be dry under my cheap, collapsible umbrella which I keep in my bag.

Cardcaptor Charlie

Inactive user
2. Unfurling in the rain? Apparently this getty image - which is captioned "This City Gent has clearly forgotten what his umbrella is for.." Or not....

They call that rain? This is rain:

Personally, if it drizzles a bit then I find it redundant to unfurl the brolly. Only when it looks like I would run the risk of being drenched or soak is when I open it.

But as always, there are no rules in civilian brolly use. It is up to the individual how he wishes to use his brolly.

nicksull

Oh good Lord, where is the common sense. If you are a civilian, and it looks like it is going to rain, carry an umbrella. Be considerate and careful and do not poke anyone's eye out. It if rains, open the damn thing and enjoy it's protection.

If you are bound by some 'tradition,' I guess you'll have to obey it - but I for one will be dry under my cheap, collapsible umbrella which I keep in my bag.
Yes, me too. I'm all for using an umbrella. But not a stunty. Personal preference....

ptrck2184

Unfurling the umbrella is fine, unless you are above 6 feet like me and your eyes are at umbrella poking level.

Careful gents.

Salvatore123

I really did not intend to cause distress, elevated blood pressure, and the like . . .

It just never occurred to me that an unopened umbrella, held but unused while the holder was in the rain and did not even have a trench to protect his costly clothing, had some historical/military/club significance.

If I offended anyone who happens to be a member of such a group, I did not intend to make fun of anyone.

Nevertheless, I still find myself, after seeing pictures like in this post, wanting to walk to a window at night, raise it, and scream: "I am mad as hell, and I am not going to let you walk in the rain without an umbfrella any more!!!!" :)

Sean1982

I agree with Charlie, I don't unfurl the brolly without some real rain. After all, it has been so beautifully furled in the first place!

That pic of the chap without the brolly up is taken in the ally adjacent to the Noel Coward Theatre (then called either the New or the Albery Theatre), towards the Whyndhams Theatre. They may have been heading to a matinee, or to lunch/dinner and only walking a short distance. And anyway, I can't see rain, only rainwater.

nicksull

I agree with Charlie, I don't unfurl the brolly without some real rain. After all, it has been so beautifully furled in the first place!

That pic of the chap without the brolly up is taken in the ally adjacent to the Noel Coward Theatre (then called either the New or the Albery Theatre), towards the Whyndhams Theatre. They may have been heading to a matinee, or to lunch/dinner and only walking a short distance. And anyway, I can't see rain, only rainwater.
Quite
Thanks for the geography! I used to frequent the bookshops in this and the next alley down (whatever its called).
And i think the triple shot's timing is illustrative of cardcaptor's point. Drizzle is enough for the ladies but not enough justification for unfurling a gents brolly.
In fact i think this is a publicity shot (for womens fashion) as it looks so staged.