cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
I have a pair of Alden 403s down at the heels and lots of snow and ice outside. I see where Vibram has a couple of fairly new sole compounds that might answer, either on my Aldens or a cheaper pair.

https://gearjunkie.com/vibram-arctic-grip-sole-for-ice

Has anyone tried one of these yet, either on a new pair or a resole?

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
Weird. The linked article is almost 2 years old, but the last few days I've been getting internet ads for that sole on specific models of LL Bean winter boots. I'd love to try the sole on my current Bean boots (don't think it's offered as a resole option, but I'm going to ask). Stranger still is that, on the Bean site, it includes a disclaimer that the soles may damage indoor flooring, which leads me to suspect that, in the specific "Arctic Grip" portions of the sole, that there's an abrasive component included in the rubber compound, which likely goes a long way towards the grip properties being touted by Vibram.

PalmettoMan

United States
South Carolina
Edgemoor
I think the disclaimer is due to sole being very prone to marking floors. Vibram's website says the sole is entirely rubber. OP's site claims one of the downfalls of the sole is "tread life." So I suspect it is like having a racing compound tire on a car. You get excellent traction but awful longevity.

cdavant: The soles are not in Vibram's catalog, so I think new shoes are the only option.

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
They are back after 3 months at Nu-Shoe waiting for the Artic Soles to come in. Of course, the south is having record high temperatures so it will be a while before I can test them. But they look great--so reconditioned that they look new, and for 90 bucks a bargain.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts