Antique top hat questions

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
John David was a Manhattan retailer of menswear prior to liquidating its business in 1964. It had operated 4 stores there. I have sometimes wondered if the current men's retailer, Paul Stuart, which was named after a young family member of its founder followed the example of John David in naming their store. John David operated for roughly 60 years before closing down, and appears to have sold a broad variety of menswear of apparently decent quality. Your hat is private label, I.e., made for the store and carrying the Store's label rather than the manufacturer's. Another similarity to Stuart, and once a common practice.

The add below is from Esquire 1936 and illustrates a potpourri of styles then fashionable -

Last edited:

Admdjg

Starting Member
United States
South Carolina
Anderson
So could this hat be worth anything, and how and where would I go to get it preserved? BTW, I paid Goodwill the princely sum of 50 cents for it. Lol

Admdjg

Starting Member
United States
South Carolina
Anderson
John David was a Manhattan retailer of menswear prior to liquidating its business in 1964. It had operated 4 stores there. I have sometimes wondered if the current men's retailer, Paul Stuart, which was named after a young family member of its founder followed the example of John David in naming their store. John David operated for roughly 60 years before closing down, and appears to have sold a broad variety of menswear of apparently decent quality. Your hat is private label, I.e., made for the store and carrying the Store's label rather than the manufacturer's. Another similarity to Stuart, and once a common practice.

[/URL]

The add below is from 1930's Esquire and illustrates a potpourri of styles then fashionable -

View attachment 32545
Thank you so much

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
So could this hat be worth anything, and how and where would I go to get it preserved? BTW, I paid Goodwill the princely sum of 50 cents for it. Lol
I doubt it, but unless one is part of the market, you'll never know what gets collected, much less where a particular item might slot. Sorry, no idea if anyone does refurbishing, but as hatters have largely vanished, I doubt there would be one. And if there were, it would likely cost many, many multiples of $.50!

Thank you so much
You are quite welcome, sir!