Appropriate Attire for a "Celebration of Life"

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Roger, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Super Member

Canada
    British Columbia
    Vancouver
    When attending a "celebration of life" of a deceased person (i.e., a celebration of their life), is funeral attire appropriate or would something more...um...lively be better? Often these services occur much further from the actual death than would a standard funeral service (like a month later, for example).

2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I would think that while it should be tastefully conservative, one's attire at a "celebration of life" gathering should reflect the stated purpose of the event and the person being so honored. I would go with the more lively option.

3. qasimkhan

qasimkhan Senior Member

I think the nature of the event and not its actual title should determine what you wear. If it's really just a funeral or a memorial with a different name, then funeral attire would be appropriate. If it's going to be less formal, then dress accordingly.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Honors Member and King Fop

United States
    California
    Long Beach
    I have unfortunately been to a number of events of this sort in recent years. In such cases, I think it is best to get a clarification from the host/organizer if possible. At one, I was a bit more cheerfully dressed than for a funeral but not by much--lighter gray suit, more colorful tie--and felt I was right in line. At another, I was I was in appropriate funeral attire and again felt I was quite correct. At the third--an outdoor event--I wore a tweed sport coat, a tie and was altogether more casually dressed. Nonetheless I was rather overdressed compared to almost all the other attendees. Some asked if I had come directly from church services.

5. Teacher

Teacher Honors Member

United States
    North Dakota
    Grand Forks
    This is intended to be a celebration. As the others have indicated, wear something fairly formal and yet fairly festive: suit or coat-and-pants combination in darker to medium colors; a light colored shirt (not necessarily white); and a festive (but not impudent) tie. If this were a celebration of my life, I'd want people to be happy. Naturally that's sometimes a tall order, but we do the best we can.

6. Roger

Roger Super Member

Canada
    British Columbia
    Vancouver
    Great suggestions, guys. I should have noted at the outset that my concern is with "celebration of life" services that take the place of funerals, not something held later after an earlier funeral. I don't know though whether it makes any difference.

7. Teacher

Teacher Honors Member

United States
    North Dakota
    Grand Forks
    Hmmmm...I thought this was more like a wake. Still, it is called a celebration of life, so I'm standing by my original suggestions.

8. Roger

Roger Super Member

Canada
    British Columbia
    Vancouver
    Perhaps like a wake weeks after the fact. So, how about: navy suit, black plain-toe shoes, white shirt, white pocket square, medium-blue foulard tie? As I'm sure you've surmised, I've got one of these to attend in three weeks--four weeks after the death.

9. jekv12

jekv12 Starting Member

I tend to wear a tie with some sort of neat or discreet floral pattern, hinting at (the recent) burial and the natural cycle of life, hope, optimism.

10. Nathan Detroit

Nathan Detroit Senior Member

Given the vulgarity of the event, how about a purple shirt and pink tie? Maybe white pants?