ajasont

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York
I have a 1A (Crew Neck) in the traditional Cream color, a 3A (Shawl Cardigan) in Bracken (Mauve), and a 6A (Cardigan) in Navy. I'm a 40 and sized up to 42 in each and they are still very slim. I could've sized up to a 44 and it still would've been a neat fit, but I like the way they fit. The only one that concerns me about showing through is the navy as anything lighter will show a bit in areas such as a bent elbow. If the sweaters fit looser, there would be no issue with undershirts showing through.

I can't say enough about the quality of Inverallan. They are among my most prized clothing items. I was lucky enough to pick up a small size of the 3A in Burgundy for my daughter who started college this year.

If you remember, where did you purchase yours? I've been wanting to buy one but I've only been able to find them from Endclothing. I read somewhere they are not restocking North American stockists till next year.

Grayland

United States
New York
Cobleskill
If you remember, where did you purchase yours? I've been wanting to buy one but I've only been able to find them from Endclothing. I read somewhere they are not restocking North American stockists till next year.
Bought the crewneck used off Styleforum and the cardigan NWT off Styleforum. These sweaters fits very tightly, yet many of the young SF's insisted on sizing down to get a "hip slim fit". Once they took possession and saw how tight they fit, there was a big sell off. The arms are also pretty short - works for me as I'm 5'9, but not so good for tall fellows.

It was reported on SF that Inverallan had been bought out by a Japanese company. Someone contacted the Inverallan management in Scotland and, for a while, they were selling direct to the public, under the name Strathtay. My shawl collar cardigan has a Strathtay label. That didn't last long. Either the Japanese company put a stop to it, or the Scottish contact person got tired of being assaulted by SF's asking 100's of question about yarn count, sleeve length, modifications, etc. I was lucky. I asked for a size 42 cardigan in a certain color. The contact said they had a size 42 cardigan in a similar color. Cost me $230 about a year ago.

Here's a good thread from SF:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/156085/inverallan

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
My hand-knit Aran sweater from Aran Sweater Market arrived a couple days ago. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

I wanted a tighly woven sweater with a distinct clan pattern that looked masculine. I chose the Farrell clan.

I have another Aran sweater that fits pretty well in size 42, so I ordered the same size online from the Aran Sweater Market. When ordering, the form also asks you to select your height from a drop-down menu. I presume the sweater length corresponds to the purchaser's height.

The sweater was on sale and cost just below $200.

Shipping ($35) was via DHL and included tracking. It arrived from Ireland in 6 days and was securely packed. Upon opening the box, a wonderful wool scent hits you. It's not overpowering, but pleasant. A tag with information about the Farrell clan was attached to the sweater tag, along with a signed and numbered "certificate of authenticity," which seems like marketing hype to me.

The wool is a natural color, which I prefer over other sweaters I've seen which are more white. The pattern is as handsome as it appeared online and tightly woven--you cannot see the shirt beneath it (unlike other sweaters that are more loosely woven). There is heft to the wool, making the sweater very warm. It's comfortable, well-made, and I expect to enjoy it for years to come.

The only thing that concerns me is the sweater length. It's 29" long from the top of the collar, which is a couple inches more than I prefer. However, I think the sweater style may be intended to be a bit longer. And since they asked for my height when I ordered, I assume the length is correct. The chest is also true to size at 21" pit to pit.

For me, this Aran sweater was an excellent purchase and I highly recommend it.

Z.J.P

United States
Tennessee
Nashville
Looks great.

My conundrum: I don't like my clan's(my actually family clan) pattern. What do I do?!

Z.J.P

United States
Tennessee
Nashville
Just some silliness. I actually don't like the Power Clan pattern, but I do like the Buchanan pattern, which is in my bloodline, so I have some options.