Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
A glimmer of light in the darkness? A spark to set the sartorial world alight?

I have now noted two different politicians appearing at major public political events proudly flourishing pocket squares! :loveyou::happy:

A personal favorite of mine, the pocket square has been mainly absent from the public dress of most politicians for a decade, or more. And as such acts, while seemingly insignificant, are usually the product of careful crafting by image makers, something may be afoot.

Lest this descend into some form of political nonsense, I must point out that the two I noted happened both to be Democrats, but that isn't relevant to the issue. Certainly one of the most frequent practitioners, and possibly the best dressed man to ever occupy the Oval Office most assuredly was not.

Reagan.jpg

The fellow I noticed on the news this morning was Mr. Biden wearing a white PS, 3-points up, with which he also wore a non-solid tie of dark red stripes on a navy ground. A flattering and handsome outfit for a senior gentleman, who apparently has always taken an interest in his appearance, as did President Reagan.

While obviously style rather than substance in both cases, it's nice to see, and I hope the trend might spread. Any added notes of elegance and grace are so sorely need in our body politic.

(However, I'll need to drop a line to Ole' Joe, because while he wore my preferred 3-points up, he regrettably had it too perfectly folded, and with each point exactly the same length. But, from little acorns . . . . ;))

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Well, it's been reported that he pays no attention to Twitter preferring face-to-face communication with people he trusts. So if you make it a ink-on-paper dropped line, you may have some influence. We can but hope.

triklops55

United States
California
San Jose
Let's hope so. Speaking purely on manner of dress, Biden is always better put together than Trump, and if he wins in November, he will make a better dressed president than the current one, so he'll then be in a position to be an example for American men.

Before opening this thread, I thought it would be about the general trend in men's wear. I was going to say I doubt that better sartorial days are ahead with the demise of Brooks Brothers, the downsizing of Neiman Marcus, etc. But I do have some hope that the decline of these national chains will give opportunity to small, local shops to thrive by selling quality men's wear. I guess well see.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Biden apparently also prefers French cuffs, however, he left is Senate pair in a donated shirt (the rest of the story is missing). Seems another example of some memory difficulty?

Also seen Biden wearing a pocket square sans tie for his YouTube adverts. Goes with the tone and do wonder if helping.

There was an article mentioning Trump's trousers are getting wider. I like a wider leg, however, his seem to be nearing Oxford bags.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
It's certainly possible that Biden's "look" is a very intentional strategy, looking "put together" as a contrast to Trump's increasingly sloppy appearance, weird standing and walking stance, and general incoherence in interviews/speaking.

Basically, you have two men - both perceived by their respective opponents as doddering - so if one can grab *some* kind of edge, they'd best take it!

Natty pocket squares versus knee-length neckties? I know where my preferences lie (but then, I'm a big ol' lefty.)

DH

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Let's hope so. Speaking purely on manner of dress, Biden is always better put together than Trump, and if he wins in November, he will make a better dressed president than the current one, so he'll then be in a position to be an example for American men.

Before opening this thread, I thought it would be about the general trend in men's wear. I was going to say I doubt that better sartorial days are ahead with the demise of Brooks Brothers, the downsizing of Neiman Marcus, etc. But I do have some hope that the decline of these national chains will give opportunity to small, local shops to thrive by selling quality men's wear. I guess well see.
IMHO, purely from a sartorial perspective, that's setting the bar rather low. ;)

It was once a truism that Presidents were style setters, which subsequently became a denigrated notion, and then largely forgotten. My own opinion based upon experience is they are, if in fact they are possessed of sufficient style worth emulating, which unfortunately, too many are not. Men did not rush in droves to buy cardigans when Jimmy Carter was president, whereas Truman helped re-popularize DB's.

Biden apparently also prefers French cuffs, however, he left is Senate pair in a donated shirt (the rest of the story is missing). Seems another example of some memory difficulty?

Also seen Biden wearing a pocket square sans tie for his YouTube adverts. Goes with the tone and do wonder if helping.

There was an article mentioning Trump's trousers are getting wider. I like a wider leg, however, his seem to be nearing Oxford bags.
I've noted the tie-lessness both with and without a PS, and almost always, I'm struck that it looks as if the man has just removed his necktie. I have no objection to a PS without a tie, and often wear my jackets with a sportshirt and PS without one. But if a man is in his suit, and ordinarily prefers to wear a tie, he should d*mn well leave it on. Leaders make style, not follow it!

Love Reagan, or hate him, he was always 100% Reagan. And people ultimately will recognize and respond to authenticty.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
I've noted the tie-lessness both with and without a PS, and almost always, I'm struck that it looks as if the man has just removed his necktie. I have no objection to a PS without a tie, and often wear my jackets with a sportshirt and PS without one. But if a man is in his suit, and ordinarily prefers to wear a tie, he should d*mn well leave it on. Leaders make style, not follow it!

Love Reagan, or hate him, he was always 100% Reagan. And people ultimately will recognize and respond to authenticity.
I totally agree a suit should never be warn without a tie. In the two examples I have seen, Biden is seated and not enough details to determine if a suit or not.

I sure hope the People respond to authenticity, they didn't with Obama (ex. only had a certificate of live birth, no birth certificate); nothing political, just a very clear example of something not adding up.

In case anyone is wondering, I march to my own drum, including politics. My Brother is far Right, Sister is far Left, and I in the middle confusing and frustrating them as don't take their side. 😜 😁

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I totally agree a suit should never be warn without a tie. In the two examples I have seen, Biden is seated and not enough details to determine if a suit or not.

I sure hope the People respond to authenticity, they didn't with Obama (ex. only had a certificate of live birth, no birth certificate); nothing political, just a very clear example of something not adding up.

In case anyone is wondering, I march to my own drum, including politics. My Brother is far Right, Sister is far Left, and I in the middle confusing and frustrating them as don't take their side. 😜 😁
President Obama, irrespective of any other virtues, was never really stylish.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
Plugs vs. orange combover.

Who cares what either of them wears? Not I.

The idea that either should possibly be held up as a model of anything speaks volumes about the fatal tendency of humans to seek and conform to a social hierarchy, however obviously flawed whatever flotsam chance or malice throws up at the “top” of said hierarchy may be.

It’s possible that what emerges will be a rigid dress code, but unlikely it will resemble traditional men’s tailored clothing. Indeed, what is sold in sores with now is a mere simulation of it. Paradoxically it is possible that once tailored men’s clothing ceases to exist all together, a simulacrum of it will come into being, preceding a new reality of something resembling the suit.

Or maybe that is what has already happened, and that is what Biden is wearing.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
President Obama, irrespective of any other virtues, was never really stylish.
Obama was *fit*, which many mistook for stylish. I mean, he *was* a pretty ideal hangar (long and lean).

Nothing seems less sincere to me than the "oh look I'm not wearing a tie" politician, like they just stepped out of their limousine but then take off the suit coat and tie, and maybe roll up their sleeves, and pop on a trucker's cap (or hard hat) to instantly transmute into a Friend of the Working Man.

(But I guess it works, historically!)

DH

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Obama was *fit*, which many mistook for stylish. I mean, he *was* a pretty ideal hangar (long and lean).

Nothing seems less sincere to me than the "oh look I'm not wearing a tie" politician, like they just stepped out of their limousine but then take off the suit coat and tie, and maybe roll up their sleeves, and pop on a trucker's cap (or hard hat) to instantly transmute into a Friend of the Working Man.

(But I guess it works, historically!)

DH
Agree, entirely!

It's both sad and comical.

President Obama dressed well, just nothing especially stylish.

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
I recall something in a biography I read about Eisenhower being named the best dressed man in America at least once by a major magazine of the time.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
So, what is the difference?

What about the tan suit? I thought looked fantastic on Obama and suit, no pun intended, the season.
Well, the key word here is "stylish'.

One can be impeccably dressed... and still fall well short of "stylish". And since "style" in no way is a benefit to American (male) politicians, you don't have too many stylish ones shaking out into the top spots.

I'm trying to think of actual, stylish male politicians... Macron, perhaps, who appears to understand fit (but then, he's French.)

Women are easier. I mean, while not technically a politician, Melania Trump certainly has style (albeit a kind of Cruella deVille, Eastern European villainess kind of style, like maybe a high-ranking vampire from an "Underworld" film or a Bond heavy). I would say AOC has style, in large measure because she's still young and has a sense of fun, perhaps, with clothing.

DH

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina

I don't agree. I think the following are some good examples of suits worn without ties.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
I don't agree. I think the following are some good examples of suits worn without ties.

Makes me think should have been more clear, only regarding button up shirts. Pullovers with a roll/turtleneck are fine, doesn't look like missing something. Regarding something not missing, I think the polo shirt works too (though that black doesn't work with the wonderful tobacco brown, at all, nor his complexion, a chocolate brown, tan, cream, greens, maybe blue or gold be better).