Billax

Durham, NC & San Francisco, CA
United States
North Carolina
Durham
As a Septuagenarian, I'll assert (without evidence) that there is a "Parent's and Grandparent's exemption" to wearing sweatshirts from schools you did not attend... but only if you seek to "brag up" your Children and Grandchildren.

Here's how it works: Somebody sees you in a college sweatshirt and asks, "So, when did you attend XYZ school?" You modestly reply, "Oh, gosh, I didn't attend XYZ, my Son [or Grandson] did [does]." That provides an opening for you to wax eloquent about your children or grandchildren! Here's the gambit: You didn't start the conversation about colleges... the counter-party did! You merely did the socially correct thing, and responded to the person who asked the question, while adding a couple of other glowing qualities about the kid. Just good manners, eh...? :)

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
As a Septuagenarian, I'll assert (without evidence) that there is a "Parent's and Grandparent's exemption" to wearing sweatshirts from schools you did not attend... but only if you seek to "brag up" your Children and Grandchildren.

Here's how it works: Somebody sees you in a college sweatshirt and asks, "So, when did you attend XYZ school?" You modestly reply, "Oh, gosh, I didn't attend XYZ, my Son [or Grandson] did [does]." That provides an opening for you to wax eloquent about your children or grandchildren! Here's the gambit: You didn't start the conversation about colleges... the counter-party did! You merely did the socially correct thing, and responded to the person who asked the question, while adding a couple of other glowing qualities about the kid. Just good manners, eh...? :)
Does this work if the sweatshirt says
Al's Towing? (At least the kid has a steady job.)

FJW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New Jersey
Belmar
I think it's only Trad if the sweatshirt is grey with the only college name printed on the front. Hoodies do not count as do any color other than grey.

IMHO

5 Rules on How and Wehen to Wear An Undershirt