Are these shoes in good condition or poor condition?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by rogerharrie, May 17, 2019.

1. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Senior Member

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    No. Shoes crease when worn. You can use shoe trees when not wearing them to help cut down on wrinkles, but all shoes wrinkle, and there's nothing you can do to stop it altogether.

2. Mike Petrik

Mike Petrik Honors Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    rogerharrie,
    Hebrew Barrister and others are correct. Creases are normal and inevitable. Yes, shoe trees and careful maintenance can limit creases and otherwise make shoes retain their attractiveness, but creasing is normal.

Please allow me to give you some advice. A gentleman wears his clothes, shoes included. Not the other way around. While proper fit, pressing and care is important, a gentleman should not obsess about minor details. Used or not, you now own some genuinely well-crafted shoes. As SG and others have said, just enjoy them! Seersucker and linen wrinkle, shoes crease, etc. Even the finest wool suit wrinkles somewhat upon its first wearing. It's ok! Just relax and enjoy.

cosmotoast likes this.
  3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    A few thoughts:

1000 to 1500 hundred dollars is a lot of money for a pair of shoes but for shoe aficionados I would not consider it obscene. Especially in the context that you wear shoes everyday and a collection of high end shoes can last a lifetime. I will say that I probably wouldn't pay that much for this pair of shoes. The aesthetic of the shoe just isn't to my liking - I don't like the last and at that price point there are a number of producers (EG, G and G, JL) that make more interesting shoes (at least for me). If the real intent is to have a primarily hand made shoe then maybe St. Crispins, or Paolo Scafora would be more to my tastes or Vass (which I don't own but I read his book) and his shoes are quite beautiful and I believe are a good price point for the quality.

As to why I don't like the shoe - well the norvegese stitching doesn't look all that great with this shoe. I am not a big fan of cap toes with half brogueing and open laces. It's the mix of informal elements and the formal elements. I am not that big a fan of the color either but I admit I like shoes with either a bit more of a patina or a more polished look. These look relatively bland.

The creasing is fairly prominent on these shoes. Part of it may be the dark color of the shoes and although some creasing occurs on all shoes my feeling is a shoe at this price point should not show quite the level of creasing seen here. Whether that is a reflection on the construction, the quality of the leather, the color, or the care of the shoes to date is somewhat irrelevant since the point is that you don't like the appearance and nor do I. My feeling is that with good care and shoe trees one can help decrease the creasing on a shoe. And quality shoes do tend to crease less in my experience (better leather).

Anyhow, hopefully they are comfortable - condition them, polish them, get some shoe trees and enjoy. They aren't all bad but I do agree that at 1000 price point you should get a product that you love - not something that you have reservations over.

4. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    [​IMG]

Hand made Italian shoe with Norwegian stitching. I greatly prefer this shoe.

5. rogerharrie

rogerharrie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    kingston
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep it in mind. Those look beautiful.

6. rogerharrie

rogerharrie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    kingston
    This is with the polish.

Attached Files:

7. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    @rogerharrie please read the article that @StephenRG linked here in entirety to understand how the crease was formed and it is all natural. In this article JFitzpatrick mentioned that for some reason his name-brand with inferior leather crease *less* than some of the better leather so take his word as an expert observation.

On a similar token, it seems that nobody answers your original question so allow me to share a video, done by JFitzpatrick also, about how to *reduce* (not remove) creases:

Do that with care as you do not want to destroy your $1k shoes.

Lastly, there are lots of good articles on JFitzpatrick's website. If you truly want to learn more about shoes, check on his website for better understanding on shoes.

cosmotoast, JBierly and rogerharrie like this.
  8. rogerharrie

rogerharrie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    kingston
    Than-You

9. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Haven't seen that one - pretty cool result. Now wear and re-crease. Repeat if necessary!

eagle2250 likes this.
  10. Neha Shukla

Neha Shukla Starting Member

Delhi
    India
    Delhi
    Delhi
    Overall they are fine.. Not so good not so bad