Art Deco!

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by Flanderian, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I'm very fond of it. My eldest daughter once used a term that well describes my feeling about it, "resonant." It is an element which constituted a significant portion of my childhood world, at which time I paid virtually no attention to it, except perhaps being over-awed by the cavernous interior of The Radio City Music Hall. But since then, there have been some changes, among which is fondness for beautiful things, or at least things I consider beautiful. And so I find many things that might be classed as Art Deco.

As with most such things, and more so decorative arts, I'd be astonished if there wasn't a good deal of scholarly debate about what is or isn't art deco, the periods when it was popular, and what sort of items are, or are not, something that can be included in that classification. My definition is broader; if I think it's art deco, it is art deco! And I derive much pleasure and enrichment from such images. Much to my delight I've stumbled upon a blog, which not only is a cornucopia of art deco images, but assembled by an individual whose eye I consider to be marvelous. So for any who might share my interested, if not passion, this is the link for this very appealing blog.

http://artdeco.co.vu/archive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cellochris

cellochris Super Member

United States
    Massachusetts
    Boston
    Very nice, Flanderian! I enjoy retro art deco - or perhaps a contemporary look back at the style.

Such as the Rocketeer ads from the 1990s:
    [​IMG]

Or the more recent art from a video game titled "Bioshock"

[​IMG]

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders

Those are very nice posters! I've seen the first film, which lost opportunities it might have had. The poster is better. ;)

Here's a few more De Lempicka paintings. Interesting woman, I read her biography.

http://artdeco.co.vu/post/138022039277/dieselfutures-tamara-łempicka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cellochris

cellochris Super Member

United States
    Massachusetts
    Boston
    Agreed on both points - just read her bio as well, thanks for sharing!

5. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    I am very fond of Deco too, the Chrysler building is a sumptuous delight.

"We will sing of great crowds excited by work, by pleasure, and by riot; we will sing of the multicolored, polyphonic tides of revolution in the modern capitals; we will sing of the vibrant nightly fervor of arsenals and shipyards blazing with violent electric moons; greedy railway stations that devour smoke-plumed serpents; factories hung on clouds by the crooked lines of their smoke; bridges that stride the rivers like giant gymnasts, flashing in the sun with a glitter of knives; adventurous steamers that sniff the horizon; deep-chested locomotives whose wheels paw the tracks like the hooves of enormous steel horses bridled by tubing; and the sleek flight of planes whose propellers chatter in the wind like banners and seem to cheer like an enthusiastic crowd." - Marinetti

This thread requires a companion piece: Nouveau.

6. Chouan

Chouan Honors Member

UK
    Cambridgeshire
    Ely
    Again, Modernista:
    facade-casa-batllo-gaudi-barcelona-spain-february-street-february-50448882.jpg casa-batllo-balconies.jpg

7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The elevator bank in the lobby of the LaSalle Bank building in Chicago:

[​IMG]

8. culverwood

culverwood Super Member

UK
    SW1
    London
    A few Art Deco glass pieces. Well they are more Deco than Noveau to me.

2 Orrefors 2 Kosta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps just Swedish Modern.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  9. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago