Francisco D'Anconia

If you go to 120 West Monroe Street in Chicago you will find a local treasure - Altman's Shoes and Boots. I went in yesterday for a shoe shine. $2, plus tip for the kind of work that Will would probably appreciate.

To my right as I sat in the shine chair was a framed article about the store and its owner, Marty Altman, that the Chicago Sun-Times published several years ago. I really liked the article and think many of you will too: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20040121/ai_n9621537/print

yachtie

Advanced Member
A great store- they got me into my first pair of Aldens, many moons ago and I haven't looked back. It's really a shame that the Alden concession went to Hanig's ( they aren't nearly as knowledgable as Altman's)

Francisco D'Anconia

A great store- they got me into my first pair of Aldens, many moons ago and I haven't looked back. It's really a shame that the Alden concession went to Hanig's ( they aren't nearly as knowledgable as Altman's)
That is a shame. They still have a stock of Aldens left. The manager, carlos, seems quite partial to them. I tried on a pair of Alden medallion brogues while waiting for my shine. Regretfully, they did not fit. Alden's 9.5 3E was goon on length, but significantly too narrow and on the sides and the top for my foot. :(

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts