Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Thank you. Only after your post, it jarred my memory, did I remember an "old timer" at work in the '80s who wore an all-silk slub suit in the summer - it was heavy as heck, but as you note, draped nicely.
Silk comes in many forms. I love the look of Roger Moore's James Bond's many shiny and slubby dupioni silk suits. The trousers I was talking about had a smooth texture with a dull sheen. I think I still have them in the back of my closet, but I lost weight shortly after I got them and now they're much too big.

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NJ
Northern
Shot in the dark here - does anyone recall if shoes go on sale for 40%+15% during Brooks Bros Dec 26th sale? Specifically, the Peal patent leathers...
Thanks
shoes are 40% off at Brooks today only. Not sure if that stacks with the corporate discount, but my guess is no.

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York
Unfortunately the shoes I had my eye on aren't included in todays sale.

On a related note, what are the forums feelings on black velvet slippers worn with a tuxedo?
Anyone know who makes the Brooks versions? Can anyone comment on their fit & finish?
They appear to have a very square toe...

Roboyle

Starting Member
United States
TX
Driftwood
I recently picked up a J. Press suit on Ebay. Unfortunately, it's a 42L and I'm more of a 41/42R. I'm trying to determine if it's worth taking to a tailor, here's my holdup:

Assuming all else can be tailored well, how low is it acceptable for the bottom button to be? The top (functional) button is about 1.5 inches above my navel, which I think is good, but the bottom button is slightly below the waistline of the pants (which also have a very high rise).

I'm thinking about posting photos later to get more information about all the possible alterations I'm considering. Thanks!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
I recently picked up a J. Press suit on Ebay. Unfortunately, it's a 42L and I'm more of a 41/42R. I'm trying to determine if it's worth taking to a tailor, here's my holdup:

Assuming all else can be tailored well, how low is it acceptable for the bottom button to be? The top (functional) button is about 1.5 inches above my navel, which I think is good, but the bottom button is slightly below the waistline of the pants (which also have a very high rise).

I'm thinking about posting photos later to get more information about all the possible alterations I'm considering. Thanks!
Yes--Please post photos. We'll need to see how the suit looks on you in order to give you advice that is worth anything. What's "acceptable"? Objective "rules" are useful only up to a point; ultimately, the answer is determined by how something looks on you and only you.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Desert boots sand suede made in italy, good buy or not, for dry winter days?

Since mine are unlined, I wear them with a heavy sock and think they look great and do well on DRY winter days.

In the winter, I'll wear them with jeans, cords or chinos.

I do have a pair of fleece-lined ones that I wear on really, really cold days.

I like the look of the ones you showed - whose are they?

LewisDias

Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Since mine are unlined, I wear them with a heavy sock and think they look great and do well on DRY winter days.

In the winter, I'll wear them with jeans, cords or chinos.

I do have a pair of fleece-lined ones that I wear on really, really cold days.

I like the look of the ones you showed - whose are they?

I already have some in Besswax but they are made in Vietnam.
I found these at a local store here in Lisbon, and noticed they were made in italy and liked the color for cold sunny days.
The model is clarks desert boots

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I already have some in Besswax but they are made in Vietnam.
I found these at a local store here in Lisbon, and noticed they were made in italy and liked the color for cold sunny days.
The model is clarks desert boots
I love to wear mine in the winter, like you, in part, because of the color.

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy them.

LewisDias

Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
It is normal in the store I like a lot of boots, find beautiful, but then when I try them on the foot and look in the mirror do not like anything?
It seems strange, too big and clumsy when I see them in the mirror, in this case the desert boots sand that I posted on top ...
I was undecided at the store but I didn't buy them.