JayGatsby

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Gentlemen,

As a new member of this fine board I thought I would ask those of you who have an athletic body type what brand of OTR suits you wear. I've done a bit of digging using the search feature and came across suggestions like Brooks Brothers (made-to-measure) and Hart Schaffner Marx (made-to-measure). Unfortunately, the prices for such suits seem to start at around $750 (which includes the 20% discount offered by the latter's trunk shows). This is a bit more than I would like to spend, since I do not wear suits on a daily basis, but rather more like 2-3 times a month.

Suit separates also don't seem to be the answer, since the jackets are cut for a particular waistline, and cannot (or rather should not) be taken in more than an inch on the sides and one inch in the back. Besides, I've found that the material used for suit separates is rather poor compared to whole suits. Many, many years ago I bought Stafford Executive line athletic cut suits, which were made by Hartmarx. They were made good quality material and required minimal alteration to fit my body type. Unfortunately, Hartmarx no longer makes them.

Right now I wear a 44"-43" jacket (depending on the brand) and a 31"-32" pants (again, depending on the brand). This means I have roughly a 12"-13" inch drop, which takes me far outside even the 8" drop that a few manufacturers offer.

Any thoughts for someone who greatly enjoys being in shape, but doesn't want to spend a fortune?

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
"This is a bit more than I would like to spend, since I do not wear suits on a daily basis, but rather more like 2-3 times a month."

Only wearing a suit 2-3 times a month seems to argue for spending more on it, not less. First, if you're wearing a suit less than once a week, you only really need one (well, perhaps a warm-weather one and a cold-weather one). Second, there's obviously something special about those 2-3 times a month - doesn't sound like you're just conforming to a department dress code or something where the suit is a daily uniform, but are rather wearing a suit for real occassions. Third, infrequent wearing will extend the life of the suit, meaning that you will have to spend much less freequently.

JayGatsby

"This is a bit more than I would like to spend, since I do not wear suits on a daily basis, but rather more like 2-3 times a month."

Only wearing a suit 2-3 times a month seems to argue for spending more on it, not less. First, if you're wearing a suit less than once a week, you only really need one (well, perhaps a warm-weather one and a cold-weather one). Second, there's obviously something special about those 2-3 times a month - doesn't sound like you're just conforming to a department dress code or something where the suit is a daily uniform, but are rather wearing a suit for real occasions. Third, infrequent wearing will extend the life of the suit, meaning that you will have to spend much less frequently.
Good thoughts. The 2-3 times a month are primarily business meetings where a bunch of people talk...just to hear themselves talk. That said, they are prime opportunities to network, and as well all know, people judge you by your appearance.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
Sounds like those are the most important professional appearances of your month. May as well try to look polished and squared-away for them.

Always happy to help with a rationalization of expenditures, BTW. ;)

Vecsus

I've tried on several so-called "athletic" suits from several different makers and have hated them all. I am not sure what sort of athletes they used as models but the sport must have been a strictly upper-body affair. The pants are always far too tight in the seat and thigh. I am 6'2" and weigh 185 pounds. I wear a 44L jacket but need a 33/34 inch waist for the trousers. I do a lot of mountain biking so my thighs are well developed but nowhere close to "freakish." I have also been gifted with a rather nice butt (at least according to my wife, several female friends, and a couple gay friends).

Not sure why clothing makers decided to narrow down the seat and thigh on athletic suits. One should not have to buy separates or switch to MTM just to get a suit that fits.

JayGatsby

Sounds like those are the most important professional appearances of your month. May as well try to look polished and squared-away for them.

Always happy to help with a rationalization of expenditures, BTW. ;)
There's nothing wrong with rationalizing, as long as you're being rational. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, is there anything that you could recommend that might be in the $500 range? Many of the folks I interact with at these meetings don't dress all that well (a mix of government and industry representatives), with most of them looking like they buy their suits OTR (skipping the necessary alterations in the process :eek:)

norton

United States
Illinois
Chicago
I have similar measurements and have given up on ready to wear suits. I now buy almost exclusively from mytailor.com, even sport coats and dress slacks which I could buy off the rack. I also have long arms and now buy all my shirts MTM too. It's pretty hard to find slim fit long shirts off the rack. Once you get a MTM suit that really fits well there's no going back.

They're well worth the money.

I work in an office where I'm the only one who even wears a tie and I was at first concerned that some clients would react negatively to my wearing a suit, but I've found it to be just the opposite. If you're going to wear a suit, wear one that looks nice and fits well. Keep it conservative.

Last edited:

ksinc

Connoisseur
United States
Florida
Orlando
Other than the Austin Reed by HSM 8" drop suits you probably won't avoid MTM. You can find the Austin Reed for $395-$495 and on sale usually $225 (Overstock.com, Syms, etc.) Good Luck!

clothesboy

United States
NY
Jefferson
Gentlemen,

As a new member of this fine board I thought I would ask those of you who have an athletic body type what brand of OTR suits you wear. I've done a bit of digging using the search feature and came across suggestions like Brooks Brothers (made-to-measure) and Hart Schaffner Marx (made-to-measure). Unfortunately, the prices for such suits seem to start at around $750 (which includes the 20% discount offered by the latter's trunk shows). This is a bit more than I would like to spend, since I do not wear suits on a daily basis, but rather more like 2-3 times a month.

Suit separates also don't seem to be the answer, since the jackets are cut for a particular waistline, and cannot (or rather should not) be taken in more than an inch on the sides and one inch in the back. Besides, I've found that the material used for suit separates is rather poor compared to whole suits. Many, many years ago I bought Stafford Executive line athletic cut suits, which were made by Hartmarx. They were made good quality material and required minimal alteration to fit my body type. Unfortunately, Hartmarx no longer makes them.

Right now I wear a 44"-43" jacket (depending on the brand) and a 31"-32" pants (again, depending on the brand). This means I have roughly a 12"-13" inch drop, which takes me far outside even the 8" drop that a few manufacturers offer.

Any thoughts for someone who greatly enjoys being in shape, but doesn't want to spend a fortune?
I've tried on several so-called "athletic" suits from several different makers and have hated them all. I am not sure what sort of athletes they used as models but the sport must have been a strictly upper-body affair. The pants are always far too tight in the seat and thigh. I am 6'2" and weigh 185 pounds. I wear a 44L jacket but need a 33/34 inch waist for the trousers. I do a lot of mountain biking so my thighs are well developed but nowhere close to "freakish." I have also been gifted with a rather nice butt (at least according to my wife, several female friends, and a couple gay friends).

Not sure why clothing makers decided to narrow down the seat and thigh on athletic suits. One should not have to buy separates or switch to MTM just to get a suit that fits.
Maybe one shouldn't have to switch to mtm just to get a suit that fits but you do. And it will be worth it. The fact is suit manufacturers make suits to fit the most people and that leaves an atheletic build out in the cold.

No brand will fit you as well as mtm. I've tried (younger days) and it's not going to happen. MTM will be less expensive in the long run. You get a suit with an atheletic cut, it doesn't really work, you're not happy and you've spent more than the difference between otr and mtm.

Last edited:

ChicagoMediaMan-27

With a 12-13 inch drop, I'm afraid your only options are seperates or MTM. And since you don't like seperates, that leaves MTM. I would try and find the most affordable MTM programs. Someone else mentioned mytailor.com. If you can wait until one of the tailors makes it to your town and can measure you in person, this can be a good option. I've done this for shirts and it's worked out great. Andy has used them before for suits and gave them a good recomendation. Either way, good luck.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts