wvuguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Now that my feeble mind has properly digested the difference between the two styles, I'm wondering under what sartorial circumstances, if any, either is considered more appropriate than the other.....or if the choice is simply a matter of personal preference. I'd also think the blucher would provide a better fit for the wider foot, and the balmoral for the narrower.

To that end, I'm equally curious as to which our AAAC members prefer......as for myself, I seem to much prefer the blucher.

DocHolliday

Honors Member
In terms of "dress" clothing, I would not wear bals with anything short of a suit. But I'm a stickler on this. I think they look exceedingly odd with, say, khakis and a short-sleeve shirt.

Some folks wear bals with jeans, and I think that can look pretty good on the right person. But I'd be much more likely to choose monks or bluchers for that purpose.

Bluchers, on the other hand... There are sleek bluchers I would consider wearing with a suit, though I'd be far more likely to go with bals. Thankfully, I don't have the arch problem Orgetorix mentioned.

Will

Honors Member
United States
Ca
San francisco
Oxfords are generally for suits. The most casual versions, such as full brogues, are appropriate with less formal clothing such as cords and an odd jacket.

Bluchers are generally for odd jackets, or no jackets at all. The most formal versions, such as plain toed two eyelet bluchers and plain toe monks, are appropriate with suits.

Brian13

Yes, I agree with everyone else on the fact that bals are sleeker and bluchers are less so in a general sense. But I have seen very elegant bluchers on a sleek last and very blobby bals as well.
Although may be more appropriate to wear bals with suits I have worn both with suits and at times the bluchers look more striking.

I prefer bluchers personally over bals for the fact that to me it seems to be more shoe, more construction going on over the vamp area and creates a very striking and very solid and substantial look, which I prefer.
Bals just sometimes look a little simple or dainty at times and the bals on a thick and wide last looks contradictory. They are prefered when needing a more formal shoe.

JMatt

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I still think the distinction is pure bunk (at least in the states).

You cannot tell if I'm wearing a suit or an odd jacket and pants until I put the jacket on. (I wear 100% wool dress pants - not cotton dockers). In the states, people wear Cole Haan or Kenneth Cole slip-ons of all varieties with their suits. No one in the states thinks twice about whether your cap toe shoe is a balmoral or a blucher. It may be different throughout the EU, but stateside, it is not a rule with a distinction.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts

Deals/Steals