Danny

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
Back to Barney's here...I live in Baltimore but my dad took me on the train up to Barney's to get a suit when I was 13. We spent a good long while there I recall. I ended up getting a gray double breasted number. I recall that Dick Tracy had just come out [the Warren Beatty film] and all I wanted was some crazy primary color extravaganza...but hey...I was 13. The suit I ended up getting was pretty nice and moderately understated. The fact that it was double breasted was my small bit of rebellion.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I walked by Barney’s (rather what was Barney’s) this past Saturday. It was closed. I knew they were closing but had no idea it would happen so fast.

All of the merchandise had been moved out. The only thing left were the fixtures which were of course for sale. An inglorious end to a truly upscale store.

Now all that is left is a stylish, 5 story, 90,000 square foot hulk anchoring Oak Street.

Too bad. Of all the department stores, Barneys was my favorite.

roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
^ Wow. That was fast. I was literally in the NYC flagship last Wednesday taking a look around. It was still functioning and nary a discount in sight. Not that it had anything I wanted to buy!

roman totale XVII

Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
Somewhat off topic, but seeing as this thread has been a bit of an NYC themed thread... I was in NYC for the first time in a few years. Some random observations;

J Press’ new store is nice enough, but pretty much devoid of stock (suits notwithstanding).

For all BB’s ills I still enjoy 346 and picked up a shirt. (A flowery Thomas Mason fabric one. Not very trad, but I’m not a slave to the look).

Paul Stuart has never grabbed me and still doesn’t. The quality is indubitable, but the style always seems just ‘off’ enough to steer me away. Especially at those prices.

Only looked in the window at Alden. Lovely, but I really don’t need more shoes!

Kamukura was a delight. Got an OCBD.

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
^ Wow. That was fast. I was literally in the NYC flagship last Wednesday taking a look around. It was still functioning and nary a discount in sight. Not that it had anything I wanted to buy!
The Madison Avenue location will stay open. According to Crain’s, they closed Chicago, Las Vegas and Seattle.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
For anyone who still cares or is curious, Barneys will now be a boutique within select, existing Saks stores throughout the country.

I was still getting emails from Barneys but when clicking on the link in the email, I was getting redirected to Saks.

My guess is that it will carry Barneys labeled merchandise. It will probably resemble how the liquidation of FAO Schwarz was handled when the stores closed but small boutiques started to pop up in select department stores.

Old Road Dog

United States
Indiana
Indy
Regarding Barney's sudden demise, you might want to read this and other writings by Nick Hilton, son of Norman Hilton.....https://hiltonsprinceton.com/salt/2019/11/5/feel-sorry-for-barneys-think-again

Nick writes in a way that makes me believe that prose could have been his first vocation. Being the son of a very successful, yet volatile businessman is a burden to bear.

You may also appreciate the other chapters in his writings about the clothing business from the maker's perspective; collectively titled "Salt".

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Regarding Barney's sudden demise, you might want to read this and other writings by Nick Hilton, son of Norman Hilton.....https://hiltonsprinceton.com/salt/2019/11/5/feel-sorry-for-barneys-think-again

Nick writes in a way that makes me believe that prose could have been his first vocation. Being the son of a very successful, yet volatile businessman is a burden to bear.

You may also appreciate the other chapters in his writings about the clothing business from the maker's perspective; collectively titled "Salt".
Yes, he had a calling as a writer - hope he realized it in some fashion. Hey, we're reading him, so I guess he did.

The most moving moment was not about Barney's or Norman Hilton, but this:

"On the sidewalk, in front of the house. I remember hearing it clearly. Her words hung in the damp air. I don’t remember anything after that. Days later, at the funeral, I remember the sun slanting in through the stained-glass windows in St. James’s, on the flowers, my mother’s black dress, the impossibly small white casket. In between Lil’s words and the church, nothing."​
And the meta-game insight:

“Oh,” I said. Thinking, Really? Show the Japanese you’re serious? Since 1981 we’d had a licensing agreement for the Norman Hilton brand with a Japanese company with the unlikely name of Rockingham Santoh, a clothing-manufacturing subsidiary of the giant conglomerate Mitsui....I’d experienced how they operate and one thing I was sure of, the Japanese understood serious. The little rituals, the bowing, the gifts, the exchange of business cards, even seating arrangements at a meeting were carefully planned. Serious was their schtick."​
My tiny view of all this was as a stupid kid just out of college in the mid '80s who thought Barney's on 17th Street was a really neat, one-off, NYC thing: special, different, a real men's clothing store, some things affordable, many not at all, but a place you went to, had to go to if you loved men's clothes. After that, in all its various iterations, I never really cared about Barney's. It was a soap opera that played out in the New York City tabloids, but not a serious clothing store ever again.

peterc

United States
california
san francisco
Fading, I agree with you. Although I still liked Barneys when they expanded, it was clearly not the same place anymore. Businesses that unique are really the vision of one man, or a family, in this case the Pressmans. My parents allowed me to order a suit from Barneys in Jan. 1988 for my May 1988 law school graduation. I treasure that experience and even met Garrick Anderson himself at Barneys at the MTM event. I was a huge fan of his clothes.