Dave Scoven

United States
Virginia
Richmond
Hello All! I'm interested in finding out if anyone can recommend a shoe maker who does bespoke classic penny loafers.

There are very good custom makers that I have spoken with, but there's actually very little custom about their shoes, in terms of fit. Yes, you can get shoes made from just about any imaginable material, just not made specifically for your feet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Youthful Repp-robate

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Montclair
Are you willing to pay for bespoke welted shoes, or are you looking for a hand-sewn? If you're looking for something like a bespoke Alden LHS, I think most shoemakers can handle that.

Reuben

Honors Member
United States
GA
Athens
Russell Moccasin Co is who you're looking for. Be prepared for the price, though: it's probably half to a third of what you expect.

Sent from the USS Eldridge using Tapatalk

Dave Scoven

United States
Virginia
Richmond
Thank you for the responses so far. I think my fit problem is fairly common, actually. I wear C width shoes - AE fits great. However, I have a narrower-than usual heel width. This is not usually a problem with laceups, but presents a major comfort problem with loafers. Excess heel slippage is not your friend. Of course this can be addressed with padding and so on, but I'd rather have shoes that actually fit without that particular solution.

The custom loafers I've looked at (including the two shoemakers above) have all kinds of custom options. Some even claim "made-to-measure," but aren't really, in the bespoke sense. One would think it would be easy enough to find someone who makes hand-sewn penny loafers from the ground-up - not necessarily making a personal last with my name on it, but having enough last choices that most fit issues can be adequately addressed. Not so, it seems.

If anyone knows of such a company, please let me know!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts