LondonFogey

My bids would be:

Churchill (tricky though: he invented the siren suit which was basically a 1940s shell suit, and also wore some dodgy stuff like windcheaters with bow ties, etc)
Eden
MacMillan (the last of the gentleman Prime Ministers)
Kennedy (apart from the hats issue)
Reagan
His late Majesty the King-Emperor George VI
HRH The Prince of Wales (if he counts as a leader)
HRH Prince Philip (ditto)

Henry

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
"MacMillan (the last of the gentleman Prime Ministers)"

I don't think Alec Douglas-Home would be too pleased to hear that.

zegnamtl

Advanced Member
JLPWCXIII,

Thank you for mentioning our own "Dief" as many refer to Mr. Diefenbaker.

As I look at old pictures of my father from that period, there were so many well put together men, the bulk of society was at least decently dressed.

Khnelben

Russia ...

although not a world leader yet, a potential presidential candidate - deputy prime minister - Dmitry Medvedev - sharp dresser - mostly wears white shirts but nice ties and suits, sometimes links.

See for yourself at getty's.

Andrey

bespoke therapy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It is possible that my memory is failing me. I'll check my sources when I get home. If it was Nehru over Jinnah, it does show a lack of discernment on Lady Mountbatten's part. I'm speaking strictly from the standpoint of judging them as dapper gents and leaving politics aside.
---------------------------
It was Nehru and Lady M., not Jinnah. Jinnah by the way had more than a hundred suits from Savile Row, he was a very financially successful lawyer

CPVS

Certainly King George VI.

George Marshall always dressed in a manner befitting a statesman, I thought.

John Foster Dulles wasn't badly dressed, either.

It is no coincidence that all three I mention seem to have preferred double-breasted suits (at least when not in uniform).

MarcDavidMiller

Yes. I know this thread is 14 years old but I came across it while researching AE Acheson loafers...

WSC has my vote, if only because he knew the importance of accessorizing a look. And not just with a cigar.

BTW, the Germans used this image as an anti-WSC propaganda tool...thinking that the British people would believe themselves led by a gangster, and not a great leader!
06309F95000005DC-0-image-a-7_1419376846538.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.