ToDie4TailoredSuits

Starting Member
I'm looking to buy a nice pair of AE dress shoes but I'd only wear them for interviews/important meetings i.e. when I'm wearing a suit.

But what type/brand of shoe would you recommend for everyday wear (business casual) to the office? I do quite a lot of walking to/from the PATH station in NYC, so I'd need something that's pretty durable.

Thanks!

Pink and Green

The irony is, the higher quality shoe you buy (AE, Alden) the better they are for everyday wear. The idea of saving a quality product goes against its quality, as such items should have longevity.

That aside, Alden.

cmacey

The irony is, the higher quality shoe you buy (AE, Alden) the better they are for everyday wear. The idea of saving a quality product goes against its quality, as such items should have longevity.

That aside, Alden.
Here, here. Alden are a great option!

If you want a special shoe only for special occasions, they call them patent leather...

Timeless Fashion

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Both Alden and AE makes quality shoes. AE shoes can be often purchased at a "discount", so they may be of a better "value" if that is important to you.

In general, if I am wearing a suit, I tend to wear balmoral shoes like the AE park avenue or fifth avenue. However with "business casual" I often wear bluchers or loafers as they are less formal than the balmorals. I tend to prefer leather soled shoes for regular business attire unless there is bad weather outside in which case, I wear rubber soled shoes.

ToDie4TailoredSuits

Starting Member
Both Alden and AE makes quality shoes. AE shoes can be often purchased at a "discount", so they may be of a better "value" if that is important to you.

In general, if I am wearing a suit, I tend to wear balmoral shoes like the AE park avenue or fifth avenue. However with "business casual" I often wear bluchers or loafers as they are less formal than the balmorals. I tend to prefer leather soled shoes for regular business attire unless there is bad weather outside in which case, I wear rubber soled shoes.
Hi Timeless Fashion,

Thanks for your response. I was just on the AE website and I really liked the Park Avenue shoes to go with a suit. As for everyday wear, how about the Bucktown?

Here's the link:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...0001_-1?categoryId=120552&top_category=120552

Also, what do you mean they can be purchased as a "discount?" Does AE have sales alot? It's not an immediate need so if I can get these two pairs for cheaper, I can certainly wait. I work in NYC so I have access to several AE stores.

Please let me know. Thanks for all your help.

Baywulf

AE shoes can be purchased at a discount, and right now the AE Shoe Bank is having a sale on more than 1 pair. Shoe Bank shoes are either discontinued or seconds, and are a great value when putting together a few pair of shoes.

Baywulf

They are in Wisconsin, and you have to call to get what they have available in your size. Their number is 262-284-7158. They have great customer service and if you tell them the specific shoes you are after, I am sure they can help. Also, ask about their discontinued models and you can google them for pictures to see if there are any you might be interested in. I usually can't tell what makes them seconds, but if you get a pair you are unhappy with you can return them or ask for another pair.

TroutGuy

Starting Member
The AE sale is going on at all of the outlets. Send an email to Edward at the Freeport store freeport@allenedmonds.com, or call him at the number listed on the AE website. Let him know your size and the type of shoe/color you are looking for (e.g. brown/black loafer) and he'll send you a list of what is available in closeouts and factory seconds. Like the shoebank in Port Washington, he can search the national inventory, not just what he has in Maine.

The sale that is on right now is 20% off the first, 40% off the second and 60% off the third pair. I've ordered 3 pairs for a total of about $210, plus shipping. I've purchased a number of AE seconds before and haven't been able to tell what made them "seconds"; for everyday wear, I don't think you can go wrong.

If I were you, I'd keep the AEs (or Aldens) in your desk drawer and wear some rubber-soled shoes for the walk to/from work. Otherwise you'll wear down the leather soles in a hurry and risk damaging the leather if it rains unexpectedly.

ToDie4TailoredSuits

Starting Member
The AE sale is going on at all of the outlets. Send an email to Edward at the Freeport store freeport@allenedmonds.com, or call him at the number listed on the AE website. Let him know your size and the type of shoe/color you are looking for (e.g. brown/black loafer) and he'll send you a list of what is available in closeouts and factory seconds. Like the shoebank in Port Washington, he can search the national inventory, not just what he has in Maine.

The sale that is on right now is 20% off the first, 40% off the second and 60% off the third pair. I've ordered 3 pairs for a total of about $210, plus shipping. I've purchased a number of AE seconds before and haven't been able to tell what made them "seconds"; for everyday wear, I don't think you can go wrong.
Just purchased a pair of Park Avenue and Bucktown via Edward. Thanks again for all your help!!!!

El Ruso

Starting Member
Hey, i live in NYC too and walk at least 20 minutes to office every day. IMO, the only shoes that can withstand this sort of damage and still look good are AEs and C&Js. I wore Ferragamo and Bruno Magli before and they lasted for a about a year/a year and half and then I had to throw them out.

I bought a pair of AEs (Park Avenues) for about $250 and a pair of C&J monks (for Barney's) for about $300 at the same time about two years ago. Now, these are my everyday rotation shoes. I replaced soles on AEs three months ago and will do the same to C&Js soon, but uppers look very good on both.

I have no experience with Aldens, but AEs do the job and cost a lot less.

bmoney

yo

Bucktowns...I purchased a pair and they have a "upper" integrated into the sole that is coming unglued after about a dozen wears. AE offered to pay for shipping to send them back...I think the "AE" / Crosstown stuff definitely has lower quality and is probably going to be discontinued.

ToDie4TailoredSuits

Starting Member

Hi TG. Just wanted to say thanks again for notifying me about the sale and for referring me to Edward! You saved me a ton of money!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.