lightbeard

Starting Member
United States
NY
Maine
I have a pair of burgandy AE Grayson tassel loafers that I’d like to pair with quality dress pants for work everyday (sometimes with a blazer).

I know machine washable wool means a terrible compromise in quality because it means a blend, but the lady of the house says she will only support machine washable pants and I don’t want to wear cotton slacks.

I found the following machine washable JAB wool dress pants. Any better recommendations? Happy to pay up to $200.

https://www.josbank.com/traveler-collection-traditional-fit-pleated-pants-big-tall

Btw, I’m very grateful for these forums. I’m in the process of interviewing for director positions in financial IT and thanks to your posts I got a 1985 copy of Clothes and the Man - I’ve been impeccably dressed for every interview!

Gratefully,
Lightbeard

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I wish I could offer a suggestion, but I've always just had my wool pants dry cleaned.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
You might just as well move forward on a purchase of the Jos A. Banks Traveler Pants. They may or may not be of the quality you are seeking, but does it matter? Repeatedly laundered wool trousers are going to show wear very quickly. :icon_scratch:

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Where’s Peak & Pine when you need him.
I actually responded to the OP shortly after he posted. Took it down soon after. Rewind, all wool pants can be washed and should be and then I did the bucket, sudsy water and plunger thing and then I thought To hell with it.

Last edited:

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
I wish I could offer a suggestion, but I've always just had my wool pants dry cleaned.
This. Is she planning on tossing his suits in the washer too?

My suggestiong -- get actual quality wool pants, tell her "I'll handle the laundering of these", and then take them to be dry cleaned as needed.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
This. Is she planning on tossing his suits in the washer too?
Sarcasm noted. But if it weren't for the variety of stuff inside the coat, lininging, canvas, batting, padding and all, you could wash the coat. But the pants have none of this. So you can wash suit pants. And should, but only if you value true cleanliness. Nothing cleans like hot, sudsy water.

UteLawyer

United States
UT
Salt Lake City
I know machine washable wool means a terrible compromise in quality because it means a blend, but the lady of the house says she will only support machine washable pants and I don’t want to wear cotton slacks.
Because of the way this was phrased, I suspect that the lady of the house is in charge of cleaning and maintenance for clothing, and she is looking to reduce her workload. Consequently, I fear that she may disapprove of suggestions that she launder his wool pants by hand. (Peak and Pine, I do approve of hand cleaning wool, and I mean that unironically.)

If that is her goal, I think it is appropriate to issue a gentle reminder that most North Americans dry clean their wool too often. If you keep your pants clean of food stains and grease stains, you can easily wear your wool pants a dozen or so times without cleaning. Be sure to brush them before and after each wear, and hang them up promptly. Spot iron as necessary. I find that wool pants are much less work than wool blends, because they do not need to be laundered as frequently.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Because of the way this was phrased, I suspect that the lady of the house is in charge of cleaning and maintenance for clothing, and she is looking to reduce her workload. Consequently, I fear that she may disapprove of suggestions that she launder his wool pants by hand. (Peak and Pine, I do approve of hand cleaning wool, and I mean that unironically.)

If that is her goal, I think it is appropriate to issue a gentle reminder that most North Americans dry clean their wool too often. If you keep your pants clean of food stains and grease stains, you can easily wear your wool pants a dozen or so times without cleaning. Be sure to brush them before and after each wear, and hang them up promptly. Spot iron as necessary. I find that wool pants are much less work than wool blends, because they do not need to be laundered as frequently.
While perhaps not politically correct to share, I must tell you that these posts remind me of an utterance by the Sheldon character on the ever popular Big Bang Theory, after he found himself forced to spend an evening cuddling with Amy (his girlfriend) due to the actions of his mates girlfriends. Sheldon raged, "Make your women mind!" You might try that approach in real life and then be prepared to run like a chicken, Sweet-Pea! LOL. ;)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts