Best machine washable wool dress pants

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by lightbeard, Apr 2, 2019.

1. lightbeard

lightbeard Starting Member

United States
    NY
    Maine
    I want to thank you Peak and Pine, UteLawyer, SG_67 & eagle2250 for sharing your wisdom. We love to thrift shop wherever we travel and now I look at the trousers section in a whole new light. I've discovered two 100% high end wool pants that fit amazingly - we washed them gently in a bucket with cold water & Kookaburra soap and then hanged them up to dry.

I haven't needed to dry clean any of my wool pants yet and what's fantastic is if and when I do, my employer has a discounted dry cleaning service.

My desire to go 100% wool for my everyday work is coming to fruition thanks to you.

With Gratitude,
    Lightbeard

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Peak and Pine likes this.
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    To the extent that I contributed, you’re welcome.

I’ve washed cheaper merino wool sweaters by hand more as an experiment and the results were fine. I imagine doing so with slacks would be no different, provided you took care as to how it’s done. The only challenge I see is pressing them.

I cannot say I did it frontier style, ala Peak & Pine. I put the sweaters in a mesh bag, on gentle and used a wool and cashmere specific laundry soap. I laid them flat to dry.

The wool maintained supple feel, no loss of elasticity or other signs of damage.

Good luck.

ran23 and Peak and Pine like this.
  3. suitman19

suitman19 New Member

United States
    Michigan
    Grand Rapids
    You may try the washable blend from Ballin called Liberty Bi-Stretch