Winny94

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Iowa
West Des Moines
I'm hoping to find some OTR shirts that don't look ridiculously billowy yet don't cost an exorbitant amount of cash. My measurements:
42" chest
33"/34" arm
32" waist
16.5" neck (but I'm resigned to the fact, I'll probably be wearing most open collared)

are here any brands/designers in that sub $65 range that you'd suggest taking a look at?

thanks for any help

Canadian

Canada
Alberta
Lethbridge
Have you tried Sears? They have multiple lines, they're cheap and I have shirts I bought in 2008 that are still in rotation in my closet. Especailly the Ven Heusen line, but also their bargain brand, Protocol.

C.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I think the folks here are gonna need a bit more info to be truely helpful....or to even feel compelled to try. Like, what will you be wearing the shirts with (suits, coat & tie with odd trousers, coat with open collar, business casual with no coat, khakis, jeans, etc)? What type of collars do you prefer? Fabric preference (oxford cloth, pinpoint oxford, poplin, twill)? Barrel or french cuffs? Solid colored or patterns like stripes, checks, tattersals, etc? Any other design prefernces (e.g. pocket/no pocket)? Any shirt makes you already know you like or don't like? Just sayin', a little more context may help.

godan

Advanced Member
United States
Colorado
Northern Colorado
I have been dealing with proportions similar to yours, but on a slightly smaller scale, for a few decades. Your price point will be a challenge, but you have to start somewhere. I suggest you call Land's End customer service, explain your situation and ask about their Tailored Fit shirts. LE customer service is good, and they may suggest you either try one of their shirts or look elsewhere. At least will have a point of departure from a widely recognized brand and model. Unless the service rep you speak with is athletic, what may be missed is the effect of thick arms on shirt fit. When you focus in on a brand and style, that may be an issue that could complicate your life. It certainly has complicated mine. Anyway, start with LE. You may get lucky the first time, and little will be lost if you have to keep looking. Good luck. .

[Esq]uire

United States
FL
Palm Beach
DKNY makes a slim fit line with darts, which cut down on billowing significantly.

StephenRG

Honors Member
United States
New York
Merrick
You can often find BB extra slim fit at or below your price point, and they're likely to be as good as anything out there. Limited range of colours and patterns, though...

Winny94

United States
Iowa
West Des Moines
I think the folks here are gonna need a bit more info to be truely helpful....or to even feel compelled to try. Like, what will you be wearing the shirts with (suits, coat & tie with odd trousers, coat with open collar, business casual with no coat, khakis, jeans, etc)? What type of collars do you prefer? Fabric preference (oxford cloth, pinpoint oxford, poplin, twill)? Barrel or french cuffs? Solid colored or patterns like stripes, checks, tattersals, etc? Any other design prefernces (e.g. pocket/no pocket)? Any shirt makes you already know you like or don't like? Just sayin', a little more context may help.
Oh sorry.

No suits, no ties. Open collar. Will be worn with anything from wool trousers to dockers alphas and raw denim. I like stripes, gingham, solid, barrel cuffs (usually end up rolled). I don't really have a preference on material other than no acrylic, polyester, etc.

Winny94

United States
Iowa
West Des Moines
I have been dealing with proportions similar to yours, but on a slightly smaller scale, for a few decades. Your price point will be a challenge, but you have to start somewhere. I suggest you call Land's End customer service, explain your situation and ask about their Tailored Fit shirts. LE customer service is good, and they may suggest you either try one of their shirts or look elsewhere. At least will have a point of departure from a widely recognized brand and model. Unless the service rep you speak with is athletic, what may be missed is the effect of thick arms on shirt fit. When you focus in on a brand and style, that may be an issue that could complicate your life. It certainly has complicated mine. Anyway, start with LE. You may get lucky the first time, and little will be lost if you have to keep looking. Good luck. .
thanks, will do.

Winny94

United States
Iowa
West Des Moines
You can often find BB extra slim fit at or below your price point, and they're likely to be as good as anything out there. Limited range of colours and patterns, though...
Much appreciated, I'll be on the lookout.

BillyB

Oahu, Hawaii
United States
Hawaii
Honolulu
I'm hoping to find some OTR shirts that don't look ridiculously billowy yet don't cost an exorbitant amount of cash. My measurements:
42" chest
33"/34" arm
32" waist
16.5" neck (but I'm resigned to the fact, I'll probably be wearing most open collared)

are here any brands/designers in that sub $65 range that you'd suggest taking a look at?

thanks for any help
I have almost those exact same measurements.

I have found that the Van Heusen "Fitted" shirts are the best for my taste. Not too billowy, but not too tight. Just because you have an athletic build, you should not be showing it off to the extreme in a skin tight dress shirt. Yet, these shirts are cut properly, IMO and I like them. You may as well.

I usually buy a bunch when I am in Kentucky. There is a Van Heusen Outlet in Georgetown (just north of Lexington) where my preferred hotel is. Sometimes they have ridiculously low prices on their dress shirts and I buy a dozen or so at a clip. Something in the rage of $19.99. At the outlets, sometimes I find old styles on the clearance rack for such crazy prices as $8.99.

You can find Van Heusen at many department stores to try one on. There are probably many other Van Heusen outlets around the country. I just happen to frequent the one in Kentucky.

Good luck

-Billy

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts