eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Timberland worth a look?
Does Timberland still sell their three eyelet, gum rubber lug soled boat shoes/Tanks. I once got about seven years wear out of a pair of those monsters, before they finally 'gave up the ghost' as I walked a section of the Appalachian Trail! Tery were indeed a great pair of shoes. ;)

Zengineer

United States
MICHIGAN
Bruce Township
Does Timberland still sell their three eyelet, gum rubber lug soled boat shoes/Tanks. I once got about seven years wear out of a pair of those monsters, before they finally 'gave up the ghost' as I walked a section of the Appalachian Trail! Tery were indeed a great pair of shoes. ;)
They not only still do but you can customize the leather, stitch, lug and lace colors dozens of different ways and special order yourself a unique pair. I haven't owned a pair in 25 years so I can't say the quality is what it used to be but they were a great pair of shoes back then anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
They not only still do but you can customize the leather, stitch, lug and lace colors dozens of different ways and special order yourself a unique pair. I haven't owned a pair in 25 years so I can't say the quality is what it used to be but they were a great pair of shoes back then anyhow.

That used to be Timberland’s “killer app”. It was a pretty sturdy shoe and wore well. I had a pair in college. I believe then it was still American made.

g3org3y

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
SE
London
I'm not sure about the exact ones you mean. Their selection online is extensive. Something for everybody. ;)

Give me a few mins and I'll get a photo of my current Timberland boat shoes.

EDIT: Here you go.
20190417_132434.jpg

Great summer shoe imo. Worn without socks. Very comfortable.

Last edited:

Zengineer

United States
MICHIGAN
Bruce Township
I'm not sure about the exact ones you mean. Their selection online is extensive. Something for everybody. ;)

Give me a few mins and I'll get a photo of my current Timberland boat shoes.
I think they just call them Timberland Handsewn(s)

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Is feeling nostalgic about an old pair of long gone shoes, sufficient reason for buying a new pair of Timberland Lugged Sole Boat Shoes? Egad, I may be about to do something stupid. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time! LOL. ;)

Zengineer

United States
MICHIGAN
Bruce Township
Is feeling nostalgic about an old pair of long gone shoes, sufficient reason for buying a new pair of Timberland Lugged Sole Boat Shoes? Egad, I may be about to do something stupid. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time! LOL. ;)
I am tempted too but worry they will look like the pair I loved 25 years ago but not wear in and last like that pair.

Just to clarify..I don't think the lugged sole handsewns we had are considered boat shoes or called that by timberland. For half the price they make a 2 eyelet, no metal reinforcements, less aggressive sole boat shoe.

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
Also I sprang for a pair of Sperry Gold Cups. They are several years old and holding up well. They are the closest I’ve found to the legendary Sperry Kudus, beloved by all blue water sailors. The soles are not as thick as Kudus but a fair bit thicker than regular Sperrys. The leather isn’t as tough as the oiled Kudus but it’s softer and tougher than the regular Sperrys. Lastly, the deerskin lining is a nice touch of luxury. Sperry, if you read AAAC, please bring back Kudus!
I loved the Sperry Kudus! A couple of years ago Sperry issued some sort of Anniversary model of shoe which I ordered. They did have the thicker sole like the Kudus. When they arrived, there was a worrisome seam at the very rear end of the shoe which rubbed the heel significantly. I'd have loved to have Kudus and would gladly pay substantial dollars for them.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts