Magicman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've seen many shoe products and want to use the best to keep my shoes looking good. I've always used regular old Kiwi Polish and now I'm reading some posts where cream is preferred. Can someone please tell me the difference and why one vs. the other?

obiwan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Cream treats and colors the leather, polish (wax) helps protect the leather and returns a shine when applied correctly. So, doing both returns the best results.

St. James

Some recommend to use both cream and polish at the rate of 1:3. While cream nourishes the leather like a lotion grooms your face polish only works on the surface giving the leather a nice shine like cosmetics do.

Try Saphir Pate de Luxe for polish and Saphir Pommadier for cream. Both are IMHO the best products to care for your shoes.

XdryMartini

I've looked for Saphir in the States and can't find it. Any recommendations for where to find it online? Even eBay has no results.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
The Perfect Shoeshine linked from the Home Page:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/perfect_shoeshine.htm

Cream or Paste polish moisturizes fine leather and keeps it flexible. It soaks into the leather and allows leather to breathe. Most cream or paste polishes contain mineral oil. They can help restore shoe color, but are not as good as wax polishes for covering scuffs.

Wax polish shines leather better than cream, but it seals the leather and can cause it to dry out over time. Most wax polishes contain Stoddar Solvent (Naphtha) or turpentine plus Carnauba and/or Beeswax. Wax is the most effective for covering scuffs!

Bishop of Briggs

I always buy the same shade of wax polish from the manufacturer. It is worth the extra £2 to £3. You need to use the old "spit (or water) and polish" to get a great shine on calf leather. I use cream, e.g. Church's, occasionally to keep the leather hydrated.

philip in china

A lot depends what you want to do. 1 cheap and readily available leather dressing is Nivea! It will give a sheen rather than a shine and leaves the leather in excellent condition. Some shoes llok all the better for not too much shine. I think Saki described them as having "just enough hint of the saddle room" or something of the sort.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Are you referring to the Nivea skin cream? If so, dosen't that leave a bit of a greasy(?) residue on the leather? :icon_scratch:

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts