ErnstStavroBlofeld

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
Greater London
Central
I had a question about the various types of fabrics that Bill's uses to make its trousers.

Namely are fabrics other then Poplin or Chamois such as Hampstead Twill, Sierra Twill, Weather Canvas etc meant for year around wear or only for specific seasons?

As I am looking at getting a couple of the Hampstead and Sierra/Vintage twills, but I don't know if these are meant for spring/summer or colder weather?

gr8w8er

United States
NY
Lockport
I had a question about the various types of fabrics that Bill's uses to make its trousers.

Namely are fabrics other then Poplin or Chamois such as Hampstead Twill, Sierra Twill, Weather Canvas etc meant for year around wear or only for specific seasons?

As I am looking at getting a couple of the Hampstead and Sierra/Vintage twills, but I don't know if these are meant for spring/summer or colder weather?
i think the appropriate response might be "where do you live?".

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Absolutely.

90 degrees in Atlanta today.

While it's not among the OP's choices, I wore white linen today.

That said, poplin is usually spring/summer. Chamois is "three season", but that's a concept developed in far cooler climes than here - I can't think of a single thing that's "three season" in the Southeastern US! I'm quite tickled by the notion of "Spring-weight cashmere sweaters".

DH

ErnstStavroBlofeld

UK
Greater London
Central
I live in Virginia, outside of Washington D.C. So we get a mix of hot Southern summers but proper cold winters too.

How would the fabrics I mention do with that?

gr8w8er

United States
NY
Lockport
I live in Virginia, outside of Washington D.C. So we get a mix of hot Southern summers but proper cold winters too.

How would the fabrics I mention do with that?
You see, I live near Buffalo NY - so I have pretty much the opposite life and I am highly reactive to temperatures. I don't think there really is anything that is "year-round".

When the weather is extreme for extended periods (Buffalo, December 10 to March 1) or DC (June 15 to September 1?) I think you have to eschew those clothes and get specific. For me, I have O'Connell's and their great supply of Harris Tweed et al.

So I have two wardrobes. My feeling is that Bill's works for you for 9 months out of the year. Period. But I'm not the go-to guy.

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
Bills Bullard Field Pants were the heaviest weight of khaki Ive purchased from them. Sorry they are no longer made. They were good from September through May in most cooler areas.

mkrgk

United States
CA
San Ramon
Bills Khakis still has the Bullard twills. The weathered canvas also works except for the coldest winters.

ErnstStavroBlofeld

UK
Greater London
Central
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts