Black Lapel MTM Experience (followed by your compliments/insults)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by PMRuby, Dec 10, 2012.

1. PMRuby

PMRuby Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    McLean
    So last week, I received my first suit from Black Lapel, one of the new breed of on-line MTM providers. I'm quite pleased with the result. I've got a handful of pictures, but I'll try to take more in better/natural light at some point. I first looked into companies like Black Lapel maybe a year and a half ago and I was not very impressed - the suits looked cheap and reviews suggested that a huge number of jackets had to be re-made completely, so the whole thing didn't seem worth the time it would take to get it right nor the money given what seemed inferior quality. I continued looking and finally found a couple of places I thought made decent-looking suits. I ultimately chose to go with Black Lapel for a few reasons. It was close to my office, so the guy there could measure me rather than doing it myself (or making my girlfriend do it). Additionally, they offered several different fits so I thought that gave me a better shot of getting something more to my tastes - and not something that is terribly fashion-forward like many of the others. I settled on the suit I needed - a plain navy business suit. I did not opt for the up-charge where you can get a fully canvassed jacket (mine is half) because I did not know whether I'd ultimately even like the suit. I also should note that I asked for the jacket to be longer than the guy who fit me was suggesting, just because I did not want wind up with something super fashion-forward like a lot of these places try to put you into.

I'll be brief on the pros and cons and let the pictures speak for themselves.

Pros: the quality of the wool blew me away - way nicer than I expected (nicer than the wool I got when I got a coppley suit made a couple years back, and that was twice the price of this one); fast delivery; fits very well - did not require any additional alterations to my eye; customer service was great.

Cons: the buttons are black and not very nice - i'd happily pay an upcharge to get nicer buttons; I got a garnet lining, but it is only inside the chest, not the sleeves and the lining in the sleeves is an odd mix with the garnet. The guy or gal who made it also gave me stacked buttons, which I don't like and had requested otherwise - a minor annoyance, not a major hurdle for me.

Verdict: I'm very, very impressed with what I got for the price, which was like just under $500.

But you can be the judge for yourselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PMRuby

United States
    Virginia
    McLean
    Side view:

[​IMG]

3. clothingconnoisseur

clothingconnoisseur Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York
    Nice Suit!

It looks great! I like the stacked buttons and do not have a real problem with the lining difference. The fit is very nice and I like the ticket pocket. At that price it seems like a great deal. Being a fellow New Yorker I may check them out myself.

4. jsgoode

jsgoode New Member

United States
    MS
    Jackson
    The point-to-point looks a little small from the pictures, and you'll definitely want to get that collar roll taken care of. Glad you like it...it's always nice to have a new suit you look forward to wearing.

5. Esc8p

Esc8p New Member

United States
    CA
    Pasadena
    Wow, that looks nice! My MTM from Indochino came nowhere near as fitted as that and required a lot of take in around the jacket waist. Not too shabby.

6. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IL
    Chicagp
    Bond?

7. johnpark11

johnpark11 Senior Member

United States
    Florida
    Orlando
    Like. I bought a midnight blue tux from Indochino for $400 and love it. Wore it to a Ball last week and got a number of compliments. These online MTM shops are cutting out the middleman and providing great quality with a custom fit. Pretty cool.

8. mingus2112

mingus2112 New Member

United States
    NJ
    Hawthorne
    This mimics my experience with Black Lapel. Super great people to deal with and the only thing I needed altered was the collar roll. Most made to measure places (including Black Lapel) take into account the shape of your shoulder, but not posture issues. My posture issue was very forward shoulders which produces a slightly minor roll - I've only had ONE single jacket EVER that fit without having to have the roll taken care of.

Something else you might want to check out. If you DO have the roll taken care of, bring it in to their tailor yourself. Warren (and i'm sure the other guys at black lapel) are perfectly capable of marking up the jacket properly, but the tailor they use is on 5th ave and is fantastic. Matt (and his tailors) at Imparali tailors are fantastic. I live a 45 minute train ride away (in NJ) and STILL travel to see him for all of my alterations. (www.imparali.com)

-James

9. lalaland

lalaland Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    California
    Redlands
    Thanks for posting, but if you have time could you possibly post some larger pictures? On my monitor - 13" macbook air - it is hard to see any detail in how it fits you because the pictures look small and the blacks of the suit are "crushed"

10. PMRuby

United States
    Virginia
    McLean
    Lala, let me get to that at some point in the next couple days. The artificial light in my apartment isn't great for photography and there was not sufficient natural light to make for better pictures last night (because it was already dark) or this morning (when it was overcast and generally dreary). I suppose I could move some lamps around light the photographs better, but that seems like more work than I'm inclined to put in when I could just wait a day or two until it's sunny out in the morning. I'll get some better pics up quickly.