Loose On The Lead

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I own a pair of chukkas and a spare pair of shoe trees. Should I use the trees I already have, or should I buy boot trees? The cost of new trees isn't really the issue. I'm just trying not to be obsessive :), and it's not clear to me from other threads how big a difference boot trees make.

I guess a side question would be, are Woodlore's boot trees appropriate for chukkas? I can't tell from the website photo how tall they are.

whomewhat

I prefer the boot trees, but since they are so hard to come by, I have been making my own. I actually prefer dress boots over dress shoes because of foot problems I have and the boots seem to fit me better, provide better support, and are much more comfortable. I did sell my first, "test" pair that I made. I wanted to see how they would turn out so I started with a smaller size. I am now working on my own size, of course.

Loose On The Lead

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
You may be right, but I only saw shoes trees at that site, not boot trees or ankle boot trees. And, even if they had them, I do enjoy making them. It just takes much longer than I wish it did.
Okay. For the record, though, the site does have Woodlore boot trees. Not surprisingly, so does Woodlore's own site.

whomewhat

Okay. For the record, though, the site does have Woodlore boot trees. Not surprisingly, so does Woodlore's own site.
Okay, I went back to the site and now see what you are talking about. Initially, I only looked at the pictures and all of them looked like shoe trees to me, not boot trees. Upon closer examination, one of them was labeled a boot tree. I think that is the problem, however. The boot tree looks like a shoe tree and does not appear to offer any support to the ankle area and would require you to place it all the way down into the shoe. I modeled mine after Lobbs bespoke boot trees, which do have an ankle area to them. I stand corrected. What I should have said is it is difficult to find boot trees in the style that I like.