ATL

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Anyone have any details on the Boyd's of St. Louis house brand? Or, at least, I assume the sportcoat I just picked up from a thrift is from the house brand.

xcubbies

United States
Maine
Portland
I use to shop at Boyd's in the 1960s. They sold good quality traditional clothing, with a men's, women's and boy's department in their Clayton store. I suppose it was where I first came to admire clothing, though as a sixteen, seventeen year old, I could not afford much there. I don't think they still exist, which is a shame.

ATL

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Yeah, it went under in the '90s, I think. The jacket is really well made, so I'm happy, I was just hoping someone knew a little more about the manufacturer.

cincydavid

United States
Ohio
Cincinnati
A lot of their store brand items were under the Threadneedle Street label...I used to go to the Boyd's Subway discount section on the lower level of the store in Clayton when I was a student at St Louis U in the 80s. They were downtown St Louis, Clayton, and I seem to recall there was a store in Crestwood, maybe?

AtlantaPete

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Atlants
In the early 1960s, the downtown Boyd's store was the outlet for Gant shirt seconds, at the time Gant was the gold standard. I was in college in Chicago and my family lived in downstate Illinois about 90 miles from St. Louis. I would take orders from my college buddies, and load up on Gant button downs and make a small premium for my efforts. I still had some of those shirts many years after college.

G

Guest-710844

I worked at the downtown Boyd's while attending SLU in the late '60s. Absolutely first-rate clothes...Pringle sweaters, Gant shirts, belts, ties. Those were the days.

Color 8

United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
The Boyd's in Center City Philadelphia is still open, but I don't know if they were affiliated.

G

Guest-524718

Southwick and Hickey Freeman were also labels @ Boyd’s. Gittmen Bros shirts were the gold standard as were Allen Edmonds shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Color 8

United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Southwick and Hickey Freeman were also labels @ Boyd’s. Gittmen Bros shirts were the gold standard as were Allen Edmonds shoes.
Boyd's in Philadelphia still sells Gitman Bros shirts, but that only makes sense as Gitman is semi-local and even used to have an outlet on Race St. I still mourn it's closing.
There is an Allen Edmonds factory store in the next block, so there wouldn't be any point in stocking AE.