IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Indiana
Bloomington
Found this on a group for a certain type of Quaker:
<snip>
One elderly Friend used to cycle sedately to meeting each Sunday along country roads lined with hawthorn and cow parsley to arrive refereshed and exercised and mindful of worship. One morning as he was cycling along, a sports car driven by someone who was probably imagining he was on a race track rather than the peace and quiet of a Quaker meeting overtook him. A few seconds later our elderly Friend pedalling rapidly sped past the sports car. The driver feeling irked at the slur on his poweful and sleek machine put his foot down and sped past the Quaker. A second or two later, the Quaker pedalling furiously again passed the sports car. The driver put his foot down even further and sped past the cyclist once more. A few seconds later the elderly Friend pedalling furiously smoothly and easily overtook the car. Angry now the driver floored the accelerator and shot past the red faced and panting Quaker. Seconds later our ledlerly Quaker, his feet and pedals a mere blur, shot past the sports car, his voice trailing in the speed of has passage, "Friend, Friend" he wailed "thee has my braces (*) caught on thy wing mirror..." (* some languages have 'suspenders' rather than 'braces'. However suspenders have a much racier connotation in British English).
</snip>

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
A good reason not to cycle. For me, over the handlebars and knocked unconscious for a half an hour as a 13 year old (woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital). Another near death experience at 15 when I just missed being hit by a speeding car. As another reminder a classmate of mine was killed at age 40 on a bike. I stay off them except maybe at the beach.

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Indiana
Bloomington
Glad I'm not the bicycle rider.
Maybe just don't wear anything loose enough to lasso a side mirror?
Tight spandex has its functional uses. But few in this forum would approve of the look, I fear. (Though I have contemplated posting my full kit in the WAYWT thread. on April 1, of course.)

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Tight spandex has its functional uses. But few in this forum would approve of the look, I fear. (Though I have contemplated posting my full kit in the WAYWT thread. on April 1, of course.)
Prior to the full body scanners I often considered wearing spandex through the airport.

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I go full-spandex superhero when I cycle - that stuff is nearly painted on!

“Pearl Izumi Man!”

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Not trying to be critical of any of those posting in this thread, but the majority of the folks out there in the real world are/were not built to wear spandex. However I do see an awful lot of it being worn on our daily trips to the gym and never have I seen so much spandex being so tragically overworked. I don't wear spandex (my workout gear is generally 100% cotton), but Mrs Eagle does and frankly she is one of the few who can wear it well. Although I fear the day will come when one of those overworked spandex rigs will fail/explode and some of us innocent bystanders are going to get hurt! LOL. ;)

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
I go full lycra on the bike. It's one of the reasons I like to ride at sunrise - fewer innocent bystanders forced to witness such a sight. :D But now I'm going to go full Daenerys and fire bomb the innocents - never let it be said that I only post flattering fit pics:

Jockeying for position at the Pan Am Games time trial. As spectators, natch. The athletes fill out their lycra like, well... athletes. :p

And no, we didn't dress up in cycling kit just to watch cycling - we rode to the event.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts