PAH

Starting Member
United States
MO
St. Louis
My sister, who is generally very fashion aware, bemoans that I still wear braces. She says it screams "old man". Well, I'm 58, so maybe that shoe fits, but in an era where very few in my building wear suits, and I remarked to a colleague that zipper vests on Wall St. are the new "tie", I wonder if she has a point. I’ve always said I was “born too late”, am I stylishly on solid ground or just an anachronism? Forum thoughts?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
My sister, who is generally very fashion aware, bemoans that I still wear braces. She says it screams "old man". Well, I'm 58, so maybe that shoe fits, but in an era where very few in my building wear suits, and I remarked to a colleague that zipper vests on Wall St. are the new "tie", I wonder if she has a point. I’ve always said I was “born too late”, am I stylishly on solid ground or just an anachronism? Forum thoughts?
It’s no my thing, but on some gentleman it looks fine. More power to you!

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Suspenders (that's what I call them) are fine, as long as you aren't wearing them as your outermost layer - THAT will make you look like someone Wilford Brimley would play.

With a suit they're great; they certainly beat a belt for comfort.

I probably wouldn't wear them with a sport coat, myself, though I'm not aware of any rule about that. I just think of them as a suit accessory.

DH

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Suspenders (that's what I call them) are fine, as long as you aren't wearing them as your outermost layer - THAT will make you look like someone Wilford Brimley would play.

With a suit they're great; they certainly beat a belt for comfort.

I probably wouldn't wear them with a sport coat, myself, though I'm not aware of any rule about that. I just think of them as a suit accessory.

DH
It's a countryside style. I have suspenders on under the vest.

IMG_0027.jpg

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts