Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Some time ago I promised one of our mods that I would produce some good links for "how to wear British country clothing". Having failed to do that, here I will post some random photos I've encountered during my travels across the internet.

These photos provide excellent examples of how middle-class Brits wear their country clothing when pursuing outdoor field sports. We will see many waxed jackets, tweed breeks, and modern "Gore-Tex" shooting jackets in action. As I've said before, I used to subscribe to The Field, a stuffy magazine devoted to British country life and sports. It was well-illustrated with genuine country folk doing their thing and the photos posted below are authentic.

Once the outdoor photos are posted, I will post some photos of people getting ready for the post-shoot dinner and festivities.

Enjoy!

PS: What won't be seen are the rural working class serving as beaters, etc. It would be nice to have some photos thus, but I simply don't as yet.

Pgolden

DD: Wonderful photos. Thanks for posting. I like how they all wear ties, and note the tie bluge on the fellow with the red crewneck sweater.

mpcsb

Inactive User
Doc, again, very nice of you to do this, many thanks. The photos are wonderful. I remember going hunting with my dad and his friends and their sons as a kid - but it never looked like that - LOL. I don't think 1950-60s Ohio had much in common with those Guards. Although, now that I think about it, the one woman in the photos does remind me of my mum. Thanks again.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Great photos! I enjoy hunting/shooting sports and also have a sizeable collection of ties that I enjoy wearing. However, I have not yet tried to combine the two activities. Guess I should give that option a bit more thought! Thanks for posting the photos.

cumberlandpeal

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Wearing a necktie whilst shooting or fishing is a wonderful tradition and shows the requisite respect to the game. I would no more eschew a necktie when hunting or fishing than I would go to church without.

Rocker

As well the necktie can always be used as a tourniquet should some unfortunate shooting accident occur.

I would have worn one on my recent pheasant hunting trip to Iowa, but the farmers would have laughed – are they sold in blaze orange?

cumberlandpeal

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Ah, let them laugh: they who wear camo to hide from the pheasants, they who go without tie to church. The world is completely upside down when business people look as though they are coming or going to golf, church looks like a slightly more formal Disneyland, the first class cabins of airliners are filled with jean wearing mechanics and where atheletes spit in the faces of their opponents. Civilized people will be laughed at. Expect it. Invite it.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Photos of a different shooting party this time, mostly middle-aged folks. The first photo shows the group being trucked to the next peg, which is typical.

qwerty

I'm surprised no one has commented on the exquisite condition of the Barbour worn by the man in the middle of this photograph. Something to which we should all aspire!

Is this the result of rarely waxing a Barbour over many years of hard use, or is it the result of waxing the Barbour regularly and generously over the years?

HoustonTEX

I can't wait until my Barbour looks like his. I need to know. Do I wax it all the time or never.

Also, who makes a good pair of wellington boots?

Last edited:

GMC

Inactive user
Let it ride -- but not forever

I can't wait until my Barbour looks like his. I need to know. Do I wax it all the time or never.
You can hold off a long time until the coat gets that nice worn look. But DO NOT wait so long that you get fraying on the cuffs. Once the jacket really starts to look dry, give it a treatment, or expect to lose the cuffs. The folks who fix the coats can always sew leather trim on, so you'll still be OK, but all I'm saying is that once the jacket is on its last bit of moist wax, it'll be brittle and suspectible to fraying and even tearing. I know this from experience.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.