Brooks 1818 3/2 sack no more?

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I just got a nice BB 3/2 sack black/white herringbone tweed sport coat in the mail today....great deal at 50% off (made it $250) during the recent clearance sale.

Oldsport

United States
New Jersey
Swedesboro
What size did you buy Mike? I really like that jacket when I tried on in the store but, needed a 41R and it was only available in even sizes. I kind of wish I had bought the 42R now to wear with Shetland Sweaters underneath. Still might have been big though...

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
What size did you buy Mike? I really like that jacket when I tried on in the store but, needed a 41R and it was only available in even sizes. I kind of wish I had bought the 42R now to wear with Shetland Sweaters underneath. Still might have been big though...
Sounds like we are the same size (already knew we were the same shirt size!). I normally wear a 41R, but can sometimes move up or down a size depending on the maker and fit. I tried the 42R in this one and the fit is really good. Just need the sleeves shortened slightly and it’s otherwise good to go. As you know, it’s their Regent fit but in a 3/2 sack style.

rl1856

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
South Carolina
Charleston
+1 for Southwick referral. I had a similar experience a few years ago when attempting to replace a BB sack blazer. The store ordered a Madison model for me, in my size, but the jacket did not fit. They ordered another, and it also did not fit. We realized that BB changed the pattern for the Madison 3r2 sack by incorporating a shorter body, higher arm holes, and narrower shoulders. I was referred to another store in town that is a Southwick dealer store. The owner called his SW rep, who directed him to look for a model number on the inside pocket tag for the jacket. My original jacket was made by Southwick for BB, and remains a standard pattern for SW. My measurements were recorded, and a few weeks later, I had a new 3r2 sack that fit perfectly.

Find a Southwick dealer, or call a factory store and have a long talk with someone familiar with their sizing, cuts, and fit.

Ironic that one has to go outside of BB to purchase what BB used to offer and made famous.

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
You can bet that I'll take care not to change sizes or "wear out" the 3/2 sack Madison blazer that I now own. I've gone through three sizes, 42/44 now 46 and do not need to grow or shrink.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
You can bet that I'll take care not to change sizes or "wear out" the 3/2 sack Madison blazer that I now own. I've gone through three sizes, 42/44 now 46 and do not need to grow or shrink.
LOL...I feel your pain, to include the attendant frustration! :(

James Winston

Starting Member
United States
Massachusetts
South Hamilton
Southwick Douglas model is what you want. They still make them but you need to get them through O'Connell's or contact the factory in Haverhill MA.

BB owns Southwick but does not carry Douglas model in their stores or online.

Beware, some of O'Connell's suits are made in Canada and not Southwick. I have found the MIC sizing to be different in a bad way and the lapel roll inferior.

mrm21711

United States
Ohio
Cleveland
Southwick Douglas model is what you want. They still make them but you need to get them through O'Connell's or contact the factory in Haverhill MA.

BB owns Southwick but does not carry Douglas model in their stores or online.

Beware, some of O'Connell's suits are made in Canada and not Southwick. I have found the MIC sizing to be different in a bad way and the lapel roll inferior.
Just to add to this...Im pretty sure OConnell's has a Southwick made to measure program and can get you pretty much anything Southwick offers. Not sure if this would be more cost effective than going directly through Southwick but I know OC offers this program. They usually have an April tailored clothing sale that includes Southwick so Id wait a few weeks!

katch

United States
New York
New York
Ifbyou are willing to pay retail for a blazer (>500$) I suggest MTM. Specifically, I had a good experience at LS Men’s Clothing in nyc

rastaman8

Starting Member
United States
TN
Nashville
Update: I returned the BB 1818 Madison Two-Button for a refund. Bought the J. Press Tropical Wool Three-Button (I often get hot where I live in 120s Worsted) last night online (w/ 10% off email code). I used to live in New Haven, so I went this out route instead of O'Connells, etc. Hoping it works out!