eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Very nice...almost comforting, in it's appeal. I do believe I purchased several of those very items, just recently! Thanks for sharing your vintage, merchandising find with us trolpert.

Clotheswatcher

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have very mixed feelings about this post, for I am both fascinated and frustrated.

I am fascinated by the depth and beauty of BB offerings back then. Quite a collection in an array of colors with some very nice details, like sacks with 3/2 rolls and nice collar rolls.

My frustration comes when I compare BB's majestic offerings above to the stuff they sell today. We don't have nearly the the breadth and depth today compared to back then. And I am fairly certain that all of the clothes in the above catalogue are must iron and made in the USA. And I am willing to bet if I adjusted the prices with inflation, they would be cheaper than the crappy Malaysian made stuff peddled today at Brooks.

So although I am very grateful to trolperfit for his post, I can't help but feel upset.

Hobson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
Long Beach
I'm still using the leather luggage pictured. I wonder how many of the other items I purchased. No doubt some of them are still in my closet.

Tom Buchanan

United States
Maryland
The City
Thanks for posting those.

Those confirm that things really were nice back then, and I am not just remembering things selectively.

I do not think there is anyting in those catalogs that I would not wear. By the way, notice the fun shirt on the top page, the velvet slippers later down.

M. Charles

United States
ny
new york, ny
Ha! The green/navy/red striped shetland sweater is the one I have on the thrift exchange thread. I didn't realize it was from the early 80s.

wnh

Advanced Member
United States
Missouri
Marshfield
I was born in the wrong stinkin' decade. Nice stuff.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that more things of this nature would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wnh

Advanced Member
United States
Missouri
Marshfield
the velvet slippers later down.
I don't know if those were only offered that year, but there was a pair on eBay a few weeks ago. Pictures are in the Ode to the Albert Slippers thread. I also recall a pair of those duck embroidered khakis on eBay, but I'm not sure if it was the same pattern or just a similar one.

septa

United States
MO
St. Louis
What are the prices on this stuff. I think that we are accurate in our rememberance of the general quality and availability of traditional clothing 25-30+ years ago, but I think we may underestimate how expensive it was. Prices of places like Andover Shop, Cable Car and Ben Silver, are from, what my elders have told me more in line with what clothes cost back then--really expensive.

KenR

Advanced Member
United States
New York
Floral Park
A fond reminder of my younger days. I still have some catalogs from the 70's and 80's. I also forwarded a couple to Andy and Brooksfan last year for their reading pleasure.

Ron_A

United States
Illinois
Naperville
Wow, very nice! I concur that, with the exception of several items, this represents -- in my mind's eye anyway -- what classic, traditional style really is all about. Thanks for posting.

hbs midwest

Memory Lane

Wow!!! I spent the fall semester, 1981 in Chicago picking up a Paaralegal Certificate from Roosevelt University; walked past the (then) Madison Street BB store twice a day to and from classes.

The watercolour illustrations just begin to do full justice to the wonderful merchandise then on offer. I remember that the pricing was on the higher end--also, that JAB was, at that time, a slightly less expensive alternative for much the same style.

Great Post!

hbs

Markus

My .02

Like many hereabouts, I was there then. I used to find those old catalogs so annoying. You couldn't really tell what anything looked like. It was all sort of an "artists conception", although from today's perspective I appreciate the images, in a nostalgic sort of way.

I think some of you are being too hard on today's Brooks Brothers. I've said it before and I'll say it again now--at least the new owners CARE about the clothes they sell and try to offer things in good taste. The fact that they keep the old-style merchandise around is another bonus. And one more thing, having watched them go through the Marks and Spencer period is that IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH WORSE than it is now. They could'a been bought by WalMart, or Sears for that matter. Or they could have even gone out of business! As it is now, they've got catalogs where you can tell what things are, IMHO many of their clothes are drop-dead gorgeous (even if they do not hew to the trad orthodoxy as they once did). As it is now, I think we all ought to be thankful that:

1. they have many locations in places where all the old-line trad stores are long gone.
2. In these locations you can buy a decent OCBD. And belts. And plain-front wool slacks.
3. And decent shoes. In much of the US of A, there aren't any other stores within miles who even sell a leather-soled, goodyear-welted, traditional, tasteful shoe. Where else? Not many places.
4. Yes, the staff is often young and weren't even born back in the glory days. But you can still order out of their stock book, or made to measure. And now they stand behind their merchandise for customer satisfaction. Back in the '80s that was not always my experience. Sometimes (most times even) it was...sorry, tough luck!

so, go ahead and look through rose-tinted glasses at those old catalog pages and bemoan the fact that what is gone is gone. Then, shop selectively. During the sales. And enjoy the few trad staples they still offer.

Markus

Naval Gent

Like many hereabouts, I was there then. I used to find those old catalogs so annoying. You couldn't really tell what anything looked like. It was all sort of an "artists conception", although from today's perspective I appreciate the images, in a nostalgic sort of way.

Amen, brother. For those of us not living in a "major city", you could never really tell exactly what Brooks Brothers was selling. And the prices were way beyond the reach of a lowly college student, as I was at the time. I always found the cartoony illustrations a little cheeky for the prices being asked. Only when I was able to finally see the stuff in person was I suitably impressed.

Good to see those covers and pages again for nostalgia's sake, though.

Scott

trolperft

I'd also like to know the prices back then. But alas, it's missing price lists:(
There is an information about BB prices in the catalog, though.