EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
I saw today Brooks Brothers is including in its Fathers’ Day sale a gift box of 7 polos for $350.

Unfortunately, for the classic fit in XL, I see only “fall colors” (summer would be much preferred, but I don’t imagine they’ve much trouble shifting those presently).

Is this a good deal? I have no corporate or other discount, so it seems so for me.

Advice appreciated.

Thank you,

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
I can only refer you to the work of Menger and Walras on subjective value and marginal utility.

Ceteris paribus, 7 for $350 would not seem to be as good a deal as 6 for $300, or 1 for $50, unless you want 7 as much as you need 1.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
It is an unusual deal. Two for $99 or something like that makes more sense as a gift option. Three hundred fifty dollars really limits the audience.

Fifty dollars for a BB polo is a pretty good deal. Do you need 7? I think polo I think summer, not fall. Are you going to wear them that much or are you better off buying three for the same price but In a color of your liking that you will actually wear.

As good as the math sounds, I’d pass.

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
I can only refer you to the work of Menger and Walras on subjective value and marginal utility.

Ceteris paribus, 7 for $350 would not seem to be as good a deal as 6 for $300, or 1 for $50, unless you want 7 as much as you need 1.
Presently, I have none that aren’t a “tech fabric” or the like. Having decided to donate them and acquire several in a good quality cotton, this seemed a good opportunity.

Thank you!

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
It is an unusual deal. Two for $99 or something like that makes more sense as a gift option. Three hundred fifty dollars really limits the audience.

Fifty dollars for a BB polo is a pretty good deal. Do you need 7? I think polo I think summer, not fall. Are you going to wear them that much or are you better off buying three for the same price but In a color of your liking that you will actually wear.

As good as the math sounds, I’d pass.
Ref reply above to richard warren, 7 will serve my purpose. Fall here in the DC area is well-enough suited to a short-sleeved polo for most occasions I might choose to wear one (and I tend to run a bit hot, so preferable to rolled sleeves for me).

Brooks Brothers notes the colors as “...garnet, marina, orange heather, fir-green heather, marlin blue, fig, purple heather....”. These seem versatile enough to me not to be restricted to fall wear only.

I infer you and the aforementioned Mr. Warren regard $50 as a decent enough price.

Thank you!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Ref reply above to richard warren, 7 will serve my purpose. Fall here in the DC area is well-enough suited to a short-sleeved polo for most occasions I might choose to wear one (and I tend to run a bit hot, so preferable to rolled sleeves for me).

Brooks Brothers notes the colors as “...garnet, marina, orange heather, fir-green heather, marlin blue, fig, purple heather....”. These seem versatile enough to me not to be restricted to fall wear only.

I infer you and the aforementioned Mr. Warren regard $50 as a decent enough price.

Thank you!
You cited “fall colors” specifically and the inference is that this is not your preference. If the colors are indeed versatile, then go for it.

I haven’t been on the website to take a look, but tech fabric suggests some sort of synthetic fiber. If you can use 7 nylon polo shirts, then go for it.

I wonder what the regular price is per shirt.

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
You cited “fall colors” specifically and the inference is that this is not your preference. If the colors are indeed versatile, then go for it.

I haven’t been on the website to take a look, but tech fabric suggests some sort of synthetic fiber. If you can use 7 nylon polo shirts, then go for it.

I wonder what the regular price is per shirt.
My apology if I was unclear: the polos presently in my wardrobe are "tech fabrics" (synthetics of various name). The Brooks Brothers polos are 100% cotton, which is what I desire. (I once golfed rather a lot; hence the "tech fabrics" of a thin and moisture-wicking variety).

As to colors, here is a photo snipped from the BB website of the gift set (the set they call "The Gent"):

MP01292_FALL-COLORS_2.jpg

The purple, maroon, and green (please excuse my unsophisticated color pallette--I never owned a box of crayons with more than 16 colors) aren't exactly "summer" colors to my eye, but the rest seem bright enough.

I would have preferred the set labeled "The Prep" for its brighter colors, but it is sadly only available in a "slim" fit--which I am not (and truthfully never have been). Its one disadvantage to me is the inclusion of a white shirt...a certain disaster--I seem habitually incapable of not staining a white polo shirt:

MP01294_PREP_2.jpg

Also available is "The Classics", which are a much darker collection, include the dreaded white polo, and also (inexplicably) only available in slim fit:

MP01293_CLASSICS_2.jpg

* DISCLAIMER: I do not now, nor have I ever, worked for or otherwise been affiliated with Brooks Brothers (or any retailer for that matter). I am posting photos only for clarity in this discussion.

Regards,

Last edited:

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
...I wonder what the regular price is per shirt.
According to Brooks Brothers, the shirts are $79.50 full-price. They cite the set as a savings of $206.50 over full price (at the risk of doing math in public, that's 37.1% off).

Regards,

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts