medhat

To me these are the options. Go to a niche, high quality, classic shop or just call it a day.
I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with one example (any industry) of where a company is purchased by PE and as a result voluntarily downsizes, even if it comes with improved margins. I'm doubtful BB will be the exception.

One thing I think it likely is that we won't see better quality, I think those days are long gone. Better/worse/same quality, the move after any restructuring/sale will be to cut costs. So I expect the bricks and mortar footprint will shrink considerably, along with the associated jobs.

Tailoring/alterations/handiwork will be even more centralized, and while physical locations will shrink it's a long shot hope of mine that a few of their experienced and skilled tailors will remain. As far as product offerings they could use a significant shot of creativity (a la perhaps a Paul Stuart model or better yet to get lucky on a rising star who makes good), but those goods will almost certainly come from overseas manufacturing.

And while stable items like OCBDs and non-MTM suits are already non-US produced I can see those remaining somewhat unchanged, I'd love to see some of their trad clothing updated with more contemporary materials, such as the more knit-like shirting that Uniqlo uses in their shirts, that are non-iron with a bit of stretch.

Or a "BB version" of those tech fabric suits that everyone else is selling, but with pants that have a proper crease versus these others that look like chinos.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with one example (any industry) of where a company is purchased by PE and as a result voluntarily downsizes, even if it comes with improved margins. I'm doubtful BB will be the exception. One thing I think it likely is that we won't see better quality, I think those days are long gone. Better/worse/same quality, the move after any restructuring/sale will be to cut costs. So I expect the bricks and mortar footprint will shrink considerably, along with the associated jobs. Tailoring/alterations/handiwork will be even more centralized, and while physical locations will shrink it's a long shot hope of mine that a few of their experienced and skilled tailors will remain. As far as product offerings they could use a significant shot of creativity (a la perhaps a Paul Stuart model or better yet to get lucky on a rising star who makes good), but those goods will almost certainly come from overseas manufacturing. And while stable items like OCBDs and non-MTM suits are already non-US produced I can see those remaining somewhat unchanged, I'd love to see some of their trad clothing updated with more contemporary materials, such as the more knit-like shirting that Uniqlo uses in their shirts, that are non-iron with a bit of stretch. Or a "BB version" of those tech fabric suits that everyone else is selling, but with pants that have a proper crease versus these others that look like chinos.
At this point all PE wants is the brand name.

Certainly, whatever "Brooks Brothers" apparel exists in the future, it will in no way approach the quality of "BB past". But people will buy a brand! (or a little sheep on a polo).

I mean, try going into Abercrombie & Fitch to kit up for a trip to Botswana! Nope ;)

DH

Steve Smith

That took me almost three seconds to find!

Apparently your kids can't represent a statistical cross section of their generation (data is weird that way!)

DH

lol. So you have a study which demonstrates the amazing and unpredictable fact that people tend to have accumulated more assets when they are older. Brilliant. Who would have thought it?

You know who is really poor? Toddlers. Zero income. Pretty much zero significant assets. They only have what has been given to them by others. It's tragic.

Last edited:

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I came late enough to the BB party that I apparently missed the better years. (though most of what I've purchased has been 50%-70% off closeouts stuff, so I might have been getting stock left over from better times. I got quite a few BF shirts at 70% off. The quality might not be what it once was, but it is better than what most folks get locally (Kohl's or Macy's)
One good thing about Chapter 11. It looks like BB is putting some things on sale that they normally don't. I've wanted a BB Blazer for some time and they seem to never go on much of a sale -- at least not in my size.
Today, I ordered a GF Blazer for $389. They have quite a few suits on sale for 70% off too. Though most of those are Brooks Cloud.

At Law

I'm 44 years old and have kept a steady build/weight of 6'3" / 205-210 lbs. I run and lift weights to stay in decent shape.

I used to order Fitzgerald suits during the Christmas sale as needed. In Christmas of 2009, I purchased 4 Fitzgeralds in 44L. Great suits, perfect fit. Not too hipster tight, not too baggy.

Fitzgerald is now gone. Milano is ridiculous. And even the Madison fit is just odd. It somewhat big, however, somewhat tight in the armholes. Just peculiar--and not in a good way.

Their dress shirts are absolutely unreliable in sizing. The Regent in a 16 1/2 x 36 fit me to a "t."
Today, the Regent is made for anorexic oompa loompas with a slight heroin addiction.

16 year old kids with a size 28 waist who weigh 125 lbs aren't buying Brooks clothes for a number of reasons.
Brooks' market is middle aged men who are professional and have an interest in dressing sharp. And have a couple of extra dollars to spend on decent clothing.
Brooks missed its mark in about 2012 and has been declining in quality and fit ever since.

Brooks will remain and make it through B/K. However, it will likely continue to be an empty shell. As it has been for about a decade alreadly.

delicious_scent

lol. So you have a study which demonstrates the amazing and unpredictable fact that people tend to have accumulated more assets when they are older. Brilliant. Who would have thought it?

You know who is really poor? Toddlers. Zero income. Pretty much zero significant assets. They only have what has been given to them by others. It's tragic.
This is intentionally ignoring the overall trend when comparing the same age for each generation.

Boomer wealth, for example, vastly supersedes Gen X and Millenials.

Gen X overall supersedes Millenials, starting from the age of 20.

lmi

Starting Member
Mercer and Gitman have it all over the current Brooks OCBD offerings.

A few years ago I did pick up several excellent Black Fleece deeply remaindered shirts, a year or two after they cut the cord with Thom Browne. I never went for his midget suits though. That collaboration at least was an attempt to aggressively push forward a new swathe of identity to Brooks Bros updated style. Crazy pricing though at retail.

I've found the Clark fit trousers quite adequately comfortable and good looking; still with great stitching in their pants offerings. What the sentimentalist in myself would love to see, is go way back straight to the classic older patterns, techniques and fabrics, and offer up some true vintage, and see if it actually might catch on and fly as a 'new thing'.

"Retro" is a thing these days, actually, in several regards. Please, it was the epitome of class and American elegance. Probably cost prohibitive I suppose, and sketchy as to whether there's any appetite for Class anymore in contemporary American fashion taste.

But it was Brooks' great calling card and if they have anything left to hang their hats on at this juncture, that was it.

........but who wears hats any more?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Mercer and Gitman have it all over the current Brooks OCBD offerings. A few years ago I did pick up several excellent Black Fleece deeply remaindered shirts, a year or two after they cut the cord with Thom Browne. I never went for his midget suits though. That collaboration at least was an attempt to aggressively push forward a new swathe of identity to Brooks Bros updated style. Crazy pricing though at retail.
I've found the Clark fit trousers quite adequately comfortable and good looking; still with great stitching in their pants offerings. What the sentimentalist in myself would love to see, is go way back straight to the classic older patterns, techniques and fabrics, and offer up some true vintage, and see if it actually might catch on and fly as a 'new thing'. "Retro" is a thing these days, actually, in several regards. Please, it was the epitome of class and American elegance. Probably cost prohibitive I suppose, and sketchy as to whether there's any appetite for Class anymore in contemporary American fashion taste. But it was Brooks' great calling card and if they have anything left to hang their hats on at this juncture, that was it.
........but who wears hats any more?
"...but who wears hats any more?" For one...I do! LOL. ;)

eagle2250

Can I add a + 1.

As long as there is a head , there will be a hat, been that way longer than history has recorded.
In fact one of my hats is a beautiful Brooks dress hat made in England, vintage but as new as the day I purchased it.
Fedoras are quite stylish, adding an air of mystery to those wearing them while also protecting our heads from the damaging rays of the sun! Melanoma is a very real aspect of life in the sun, my friends! ;)

Eligius

Over the past few months, I have gotten some of the 70% discounted items like NC made OCBDs and Southwick made GF items (a sport coat and a few pairs of dress pants).

They are very high quality, but at their market price points are beyond ridiculous, and soon even they will be gone. It makes it clear that once they've transitioned into their next phase, there will not be much left that interests me aside from possibly getting replacement pinpoint dress shirts on sale.

I came on the BB scene in the late 90s, but there was still a taste of the tradition in the Newbury St store in Boston.

The 3rd line Brooksease suit I bought there in 2003 still functions, is half-canvassed and made in the USA (I presume Southwick).

Reflecting on BB's descent leaves me appreciative of what is left at J Press and the great independent mens' stores, even if it means less frequent purchases and very rare fire sales.

Jeff84

I wish Brooks Brothers could open soon. I’ve lost weight during COVID and none of my dress clothes fit me now. I even sized down and still have to have my new summer clothes altered.

eagle2250

I wish Brooks Brothers could open soon. I’ve lost weight during COVID and none of my dress clothes fit me now. I even sized down and still have to have my new summer clothes altered.
Congratulations on the weight loss. There are not many who can make the claim you just did. Stand proud, Marine! ;)

Matt S

Connoisseur
I’m such a little guy Chuck, my grandma and aunts still tell me I’m too skinny and not eating enough.
Congratulations on the weight loss. There are not many who can make the claim you just did. Stand proud, Marine! ;)
Quarantine weight loss is a thing. Same thing happened to me and a friend of mine. Eating a home more and eating the same amount led to me losing 7 pounds. Now I'm trying to get some of it back!

Jeff84

Quarantine weight loss is a thing. Same thing happened to me and a friend of mine. Eating a home more and eating the same amount led to me losing 7 pounds. Now I'm trying to get some of it back!
In a span of two months, I went from being a pajama wearing couch potato to a real life Hank Hill to sweating back in the factory. I’d say the sweat I poured into my lawn was worth the weight loss.
3C165B2B-7152-4898-9827-EAFF3B09203A.jpeg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.