Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've lost weight, too, in the pandemic as I'm the opposite of a stress eater; stress kills my appetite.

And, coincidentally, I went to the dentist for a check-up yesterday (they reopened in NYC a month ago) and my dentist was down 20 pounds. He said it was due to his losing his appetite and working out more (he has some gym equipment at home and he went for long walks since he couldn't work).

Everybody responds in his or her own way.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I’m such a little guy Chuck, my grandma and aunts still tell me I’m too skinny and not eating enough.
Quarantine weight loss is a thing. Same thing happened to me and a friend of mine. Eating a home more and eating the same amount led to me losing 7 pounds. Now I'm trying to get some of it back!
I am so, so envious of both of you! :( LOL.

Jeff84

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've lost weight, too, in the pandemic as I'm the opposite of a stress eater; stress kills my appetite.

And, coincidentally, I went to the dentist for a check-up yesterday (they reopened in NYC a month ago) and my dentist was down 20 pounds. He said it was due to his losing his appetite and working out more (he has some gym equipment at home and he went for long walks since he couldn't work).

Everybody responds in his or her own way.
I bought some 32” chinos from Brooks Brothers and had them fitting perfectly back in March. Flash forward to now, 31” chinos are big enough in the seat and waist to need a little tailoring. I had to dig out my old 30” Advantage Chinos. My saving grace will be that I don’t need to go from a 38R down to a 36R.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I bought some 32” chinos from Brooks Brothers and had them fitting perfectly back in March. Flash forward to now, 31” chinos are big enough in the seat and waist to need a little tailoring. I had to dig out my old 30” Advantage Chinos. My saving grace will be that I don’t need to go from a 38R down to a 36R.
Do you plan to stay at your new lower weight?

I've fought hard not too lose more weight than I have as I, one, don't want to be thinner and, two, don't want to alter my clothes.

Part of the issue is less appetite, the other issue is that the gym in our building (a pedestrian affair in the basement with a few pieces of equipment that I, and maybe, five other residents use) is closed by order of NYC, so I'm struggling to work out and keep muscle on.

I think I've solved the latter issue though with a combo of walking our building's 15-story staircase, calisthenics and some light barbells, but it took some time to find my way here.

I only ask as you might want to pause and think about where you want to land weight-wise before you alter anything.

delicious_scent

I've fought hard not too lose more weight than I have as I, one, don't want to be thinner and, two, don't want to alter my clothes.

Part of the issue is less appetite, the other issue is that the gym in our building (a pedestrian affair in the basement with a few pieces of equipment that I, and maybe, five other residents use) is closed by order of NYC, so I'm struggling to work out and keep muscle on.

I think I've solved the latter issue though with a combo of walking our building's 15-story staircase, calisthenics and some light barbells, but it took some time to find my way here.

I only ask as you might want to pause and think about where you want to land weight-wise before you alter anything.
I found a doorway pull up bar to help lots during quarantine. It won't be nice to your doorway, but I found it great for losing a bit of fat, and also gaining a bit of muscle.

And cosigned on waiting to alter anything until weight has stabilized.

Jeff84

FF,

I do plan to stay at it. I actually weighed this much about 2-3 years ago. The stress of a new job assignment reintroduced me to my old friend mr. alcohol and binge eating. When I first joined the forum and began dressing nicer, I wore size 30 in the waist. I keep various sizes old old clothes just in case. Although I’m not sure if a 32” dress pant can adequately be tailored to fit a roughly 30” waistline. My weight fluctuates every few years and stays the same. Believe it or not, I actually weight about 30pounds less now than when I got out of the military 9 years ago. I have the pleasure/ displeasure of walking anywhere from 3-9 miles at work everyday. So nonetheless I cannot wait for BB to reopen so I can have my most trustworthy tailor assess my new fitting.

Last edited:

Jeff84

I found a doorway pull up bar to help lots during quarantine. It won't be nice to your doorway, but I found it great for losing a bit of fat, and also gaining a bit of muscle.

And cosigned on waiting to alter anything until weight has stabilized.
That’s what I am going to do. My local MWH has fill-in tailors working while the normal guy is on vacation until next month. It’s hard to find a decent tailor where I live. There’s a well reputable place, but it’s out of the way.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
FF,

I do plan to stay at it. I actually weighed this much about 2-3 years ago. The stress of a new job assignment reintroduced me to my old friend me alcohol and binge eating. When I first joined the forum and began dressing nicer, I wore size 30 in the waist. I keep various sizes old old clothes just in case. Although I’m not sure if a 32” dress pant can adequately be tailored to fit a roughly 30” waistline. My weight fluctuates every few years and stays the same. Believe it or not, I actually weight about 30pounds less now than when I got out of the military 9 years ago. I have the pleasure/ displeasure of walking anywhere from 3-9 miles at work everyday. So nonetheless I cannot wait for BB to reopen so I can have my most trustworthy tailor assess my new fitting.
I've found 2" is usually fine, but is also usually the max that a pair of dress trousers can be altered in the waist/seat and still look good.

How tall are you as I'm just trying to get a sense of your overall frame and what size sport coat / suit you wear?

I'm 6'1" 150lbs and a 40L just works (39L is usually a touch tight in the shoulders, but then again, you can't find a 39L anymore anyway). I have a 32" waist (depending on the brand, but by traditional measure, my guess, 31"-32") which also just "makes it" as a 40L suit usually has a "6" drop" to a 34" pair of pants which I can then have tailored to my 32" waist.

My point is my frame just, thankfully, made it to a 40L as I'd have had trouble finding sport coats and suits to fit had I been a touch thinner or narrower in the shoulders (pushups have got me to and has kept me at a 40L).

Jeff84

I've found 2" is usually fine, but is also usually the max that a pair of dress trousers can be altered in the waist/seat and still look good.

How tall are you as I'm just trying to get a sense of your overall frame and what size sport coat / suit you wear?

I'm 6'1" 150lbs and a 40L just works (39L is usually a touch tight in the shoulders, but then again, you can't find a 39L anymore anyway). I have a 32" waist (depending on the brand, but by traditional measure, my guess, 31"-32") which also just "makes it" as a 40L suit usually has a "6" drop" to a 34" pair of pants which I can then have tailored to my 32" waist.

My point is my frame just, thankfully, made it to a 40L as I'd have had trouble finding sport coats and suits to fit had I been a touch thinner or narrower in the shoulders (pushups have got me to and has kept me at a 40L).
FF,

5’10 around 140-144lbs now and have worn a 38R since at least 2016-17. Makes me wonder if I need to go from 32” dress pants down to a 31” or like suit pants, let them tailor it right. I have maybe one or two sport coats that are a 37R (38R was too big in the shoulders). Regent Fit and Modern Fit (MWH). When I measure my waist, I do so at the belly button and get anywhere from 32 1/2”-33 1/4”, but thanks to vanity sizing it’s hard to figure out when losing weight. I’m all over the map 29-30 in Levi’s, 30 in VV and probably 30 in BB chinos. BB jackets fit better in the shoulder to me at a 38, whereas a 36 felt constricting.
Call it odd, but I like to measure my trousers at the waist when I find something that fits that doesn’t lead to fabric bunching under a belt or more than two fingers fitting. I keep a mental note that (as of now) 15.5” fits me, whereas 16” was my go to measurement before. I actually bring a cloth tape measurer with me when I try things on.

IT_cyclist

Checking in to report myself "safe" (mostly) after the delivery of the blazer. SWMBO was home when the box arrived. She actually approved of the purchase. Then I tried it on and showed her the price tag. BB never updates the tags with sale prices, so it showed the original, full freight price. I can still hear out of one ear. She calmed down when I told her what I actually paid.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Checking in to report myself "safe" (mostly) after the delivery of the blazer. SWMBO was home when the box arrived. She actually approved of the purchase. Then I tried it on and showed her the price tag. BB never updates the tags with sale prices, so it showed the original, full freight price. I can still hear out of one ear. She calmed down when I told her what I actually paid.
He who tugs on the Tiger's tail...will eventually get bitten! :teacha: LOL.

Adventure Wolf

A lot of my Brooks Brothers wardrobe was bought from second hand stores, because the older stuff is a lot better than the newer stuff. Even though I have the Corporate Brooks Brothers card, I've only really used it to buy gifts for friends and family.

I would like to see the store layout revamped to a minor extent. I would like to see the staff better trained. I would also like to see some of the none core items discontinued (Books and other items that don't sell well) and focus on its core business.

Adriel Rowley

From my novice vantage point, looks to me Brooks Brother's tried too hard to modernize and diversify, alienating their solid clientele base and failing to gain these modern clients. If could resuscitate, would say to go back to specializing in classic menswear and take advantage of the internet, especially reducing inventory.

My size has changed, however, not my weight as far as can tell. What is more odd as put no fat on (didn't have any to start with, do use pinchers to measure), yet gone from a 32 inch waist to 35 inch, and 39 inch chest to 43 inches. :oops:

I am 6'-1 1/2" and last weight at the PCP, 180 pounds (what used to weigh back in High School when 5' 11 1/2" with a 36 inch waist, however, this time, 32" waist). A 40L was a nice fit, now feels too tight in the back. Was the same waist size, yet, 30 pounds heavier than you. When I was 155 pounds, was between 30 and 31 inches. Now got me wondering if don't need to keep dieting, just the way my body is?

I did ask a couple of tailor acquaintances over the internet, however, they had no idea(s).

At least I can alter my own clothes if have inlays, except those 6 Ratio shirts I received just as COVID hit (oddly my size didn't change then, too tight in the back, however, seemed Eric was only able to correct if a manufacturing error and now the shirts stuck at the mail shop since April). However, I might have a solution to having shirts which fit, maybe.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.