Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
I know why I haven't bought anything (at least for me): BB has seemed to embrace the millenial crowd by descriptions that are confusing to us older curmudgeons!

Reward $$? What are they becoming? JAB?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
shhh! Don't tell them that.
:). The Reward $s were funny as they were just sitting there when I logged into by BB account.

My guess is they don't expire and I earned them a long-time ago. I have a vague memory of buying my girlfriend's father a really expensive sweater for Christmas two or so years ago from BB, so maybe that's why they were there.

The thing I didn't mention was how large and varied the selection of shirts at BB is. I've heard, here at AAAC, BB described as a department store, but never really got that comment 'till I clicked through page after page after page of shirts - it felt like the old days of walking through Macy's endless stacks of different shirts.

It's not inherently bad to have a large selection, but when you do, I question both your ability to maintain quality and consistency and your commitment to an identity other than "we sell a whole lot of stuff to this segment of the market -" kinda like a department store.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Update - finally, you can now buy 1 shirt (if it's in the Winter Sales selection and get 50% off) versus before when you had to buy 4 to get the discount.

Hence, I was able to buy the one OCBD (blue University stripe - BB has some other name for it, yeah, they really get their heritage) I've needed for 50% off.

I have no idea why (haven't bought anything from BB in a long time), but I also had $20 in "Brooks Reward $s," so, all in, with shipping, the $140 shirt cost me $60, but even at $80 (without the reward $s) it's okay value.
How crazy is this? I put my order in on the website yesterday morning and chose the cheapest shipping option available and look ⇩ at who showed up this morning an hour or so ago.
IMG_5845.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
What cut is "regent"?
Brooks Brothers shirt fit guide
Brooks Brothers shirts have six different fits and updated their range in the summer of 2019. A fit guide describing the different fits is below.
  • Traditional Fit – Brooks Brothers’ widest cut around the chest and waist. It’s the widest available shirt I have found and is much larger than any other brand I have measured. Compared to the Regent Fit, the Traditional Fit is five inches larger in the chest and five inches larger in the waist. These shirts are 100% cotton.
  • Madison Fit (was called Regular). This shirt is still relatively wide compared to other brands. Compared to the Regent Fit, it is cut 2.5 inches wider around the chest and 3.25 inches wider through the waist.These shirts are 100% cotton.
  • Regent Fit (was called Slim Fit). The best selling Brooks Brothers fit, fitted through the chest and body.These shirts are 100% cotton.
  • Milano Fit (was called Extra Slim Fit) was the slimmest Brooks Brothers cut until the Soho arrived. Compared to the Regent Fit, this is 2.75 inches narrower through the chest and 1.5 inches slimmer through the waist.These shirts are 100% cotton.
  • Soho Fit – this was launched in the summer of 2019 and is now the slimmest of the Brooks Brothers range. Compared to the Regent Fit, this is 5 inches narrower through the chest and 5 inches narrower through the waist. These shirts are not 100% cotton. Instead they are 64% cotton, 32% coolmax polyester and 4% elastane.
  • Big and Tall – this range was also launched in the summer of 2019. The shirts are available in collar sizes from 16.5 inches to 20 inches. The shirts are cut a little slimmer than the Traditional Fit. These are 100% cotton.

Ungentleman

Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Like it says above, Madison is the standard Brooks Brothers fit, and it's somewhat baggy, even for guys like myself who don't appreciate modern slim fit clothing. I don't regret the Madison shirts I have but I am mostly buying Regent fit on any new purchases. I can only imagine how most guys would disappear into a Traditional fit shirt of theirs.

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
I've been a regular for the past several decades, and my weight has been in the same +/- 2 pounds the entire time, so Madison would be my game!

Regent would have been me 40 or 50 years ago!

duncan7

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Athens
Check those Brooks Brothers shipments! Three of my four shirts arrived in one box and look good. The last one came in an envelope from a store in Las Vegas instead of the warehouse and the pick list inside is correct but the shirt’s the wrong size and color. The 800 number is answered by a recording saying the winter sale was so successful that they’re facing unusual call volume and the email auto-responder says I should expect a 4-5 day wait for a reply. :angry:

Conservative87

United States
VA
Fairfax
Anyone know if they plan to bring back the 1818 Sack model blazer? Blazers were on sale a week ago at around $388, but they mainly consisted of two button 1818 regents, milano and madison models.