Galt

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
VA
Richmond
All my shirts hit the dryer at some point, and I've found that different styles of Brooks' shirts shrink differently (Oxford, pinpoint, non-iron). Has anyone else found this? If you only dry clean your shirts or always hang to dry, I doubt this is an issue, but for those of us who use our dryers, I'm interested if you buy different sizes based on the style/ fabric.

I measure a 15/33. Here is my scale...

Non Iron- 15/33-- No shrinkage
Pinpoint- 15.5/33-- some shrinkage (fits causally out the dryer & from the dry cleaners)
Oxford- 16/33-- high shrinkage (I only wear causally straight out the dryer)

PS-- I'm not a fan of non-irons, but having a few is a necessary evil for me.

CornoUltimo

United States
California
Fresno
I think tighter woven fabrics would shrink less. The non-iron treatment probably has something to do with this. Looser and open fabrics like Oxford have more room to shrink, so they would shrink the most. I assume this is what happens, but I could be wrong, I'm no expert.

Old Road Dog

United States
Indiana
Indy
The worst shirt shrinkage I have experienced was with the BB American-made OCBDs, just a few years ago. I won't go into details since I posted on it in another thread. There is really no excuse for this. The customer should not be held responsible for the maker's quality control. I've had a lot of OCBD's in my long life that did not have this problem. A shame, too; because the the quality construction points are there in the shirts from BB, along with the right aesthetic and styling.

I saw some other posts regarding drying shirts in the air rather than by machine. Guys, the majority of dress shirt wearers use commercial laundries. Shirts should be on spec after they are machine washed and dried. This is oxford cloth, not silk.

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Why do you put them in the dryer.

I use a drying rack. I've never suffered that type of shrinkage regardless of the make or the fabric weave.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Why do you put them in the dryer.

I use a drying rack. I've never suffered that type of shrinkage regardless of the make or the fabric weave.
This reminds me of those DirecTV commercials. "We're settlers, son. We settle for things. Now go put my shirts on the drying rack!"

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
Non Iron- 15/33-- No shrinkage
Pinpoint- 15.5/33-- some shrinkage (fits causally out the dryer & from the dry cleaners)
Oxford- 16/33-- high shrinkage (I only wear causally straight out the dryer)
The non-iron stuff, as I understand it, is impregnated with goop that bind the warp and weft yarns, preventing the sliding necessary for wrinkling, shrinkage, comfort. The fibers are essentially locked in place against each other. The pinpoint is tightly secured, the oxford less so, with more wiggle room.

SlideGuitarist

Advanced Member
United States
VA (Virginia)
Reston
I'm annoyed at myself for not following SG_67's model, but I can't blame Brooks Bros.' quality control for this. No one would expect jeans not to shrink in the dryer. I'm wearing a 17-34 white OCBD right now, and I don't think I want to button this one up all the way.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
United States
Kentucky
Louisville
The non-iron stuff, as I understand it, is impregnated with goop that bind the warp and weft yarns, preventing the sliding necessary for wrinkling, shrinkage, comfort. The fibers are essentially locked in place against each other. The pinpoint is tightly secured, the oxford less so, with more wiggle room.
It's more that the non-iron process involves application of heat, which pre-shrinks nearly all of the potential shrinkage out of the fabric.