Can Cedar Hangers Harm?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Lieutenant, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Lieutenant

Lieutenant Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Gloucester
    Not sure what brought this to mind, but can cedar hangers stain clothes? I pretty much use them for suits and shirts.

2. Lieutenant

United States
    Virginia
    Gloucester
    Well of course for suits. I'm sure you all have done the same) Oh, and Mens Wearhouse has them buy one get one free right now.

3. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I use quite a few cedar hangers, hanging all types of garments on them, and have never experienced problems with staining or of any other sort.

4. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Honors Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Charlotte
    I had one that had some sort of sticky finish applied to the trouser bar, and it left stains on a coat lining. Small, and invisible of course, but it's something to watch out for

5. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Tech and Business Advice Guru

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Absolutely they can. The only safe hanger for damp clothing is a plastic one. Once dry, transfer to (preferably unfinished) wood.

6. Lieutenant

United States
    Virginia
    Gloucester
    Now that, even I would never do! I always hang dry on plastic and then switch over to cedar in the closet. I do not recall ever having an issue with the cedar; a quick search on this forum did not produce any horror stories along the lines of what I was imagining, so the risk appears to be very small or non-exsistant for the most part (except possibly for the most humid of areas!)

7. sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster Super Member

United States
    Shangri-La
    Cedar is an "oily" wood, and it's the oil that gives the cedar is wonderful smell; cedar hangers are purposefully unfinished so that the oil can evaporate and release the scent, but that same oil can possibly leech out onto clothing. I'll have to second Mr. Kabbaz's recommendation for unfinished wood hangers, but try to discover the type of wood used (not the easiest thing to do), and look for something like beech, ash, oak, hickory... trying to avoid the oily type woods.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. The Rambler

The Rambler Honors Member

btw, the wonderful cedar aroma goes away unless hangers and shoe trees are periodically given a light sanding.

9. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    Oops! Didn't know that.

Any plastic hangers on the market that are wide enough for a XXX shoulder and have the proper shape we might use?

10. sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster Super Member

United States
    Shangri-La
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012