Canali Navy Blue Checkered 15XXX Suit; Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by AbeEz, May 19, 2019.

1. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    I can confirm that Canali is Euro sized, and they run large.

2. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Senior Member

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    Doh..

Thanks for the correction.

3. cosmotoast

cosmotoast Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I absolutely love the suit. Subtle enough to wear once a week but not just plain old sports jacket blue we all see.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. AbeEz

AbeEz Starting Member

United States
    New york
    Brooklyn
    Thanks. Yes Canali uses Euro sizing it’s always 10 numbers larger. If that’s the correct way of saying it.

5. AbeEz

AbeEz Starting Member

United States
    New york
    Brooklyn
    By the way for all those interested in knowing, I confirmed directly with Canali regarding the fit of this suit model 15xxx. It is a Canali Capri Suit which is the more modern fit. The canali suit you are seeing more nowadays in Barney’s and NM etc. (at least I have) so hopefully the shoulders are good. (Regardless it is pretty rare to see a modern fit Canali suit from eBay sellers as in the 40 or 50 I’ve seen all are the 11xxx style. Here is their response. (Pardon their use of English they are emailing from Italy).

Further to your request we confirm that the style is a Capri suit so yes, modern fit. Please feel to contact us with any other inquiry you may have, we remain at your complete disposal.

6. AbeEz

AbeEz Starting Member

United States
    New york
    Brooklyn
    Thanks. It’s coming tomorrow. I’ll see it in person.

cosmotoast likes this.
  7. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    It's not exactly correct, but in smaller sizes it's a way of looking at it. The conversion works for Euro sizes 46, 48 and 50. When you get bigger than that they don't convert that way so well, especially if the cut is slim,

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Its a half measurement in centimeters. So a 50x2 = 100 cm/2.54 = 39.4 inches, 52 is more a 41 and 54 more a 43. etc...
    For a 46 it is really close to 36.

Matt S likes this.
  9. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Now how do Euro-sized trousers work? I know that if the suit has a drop 7, that is 7cm x 2 less for for trousers (and jacket waist), or 5.5 inches less total. But when I see size EU 48 trousers, how does that mathematically translate to a US 32? Is it the hip measurement in cm?

10. Mathematicus

Mathematicus New Member

Coventry, UK
    UK
    West Midlands
    Coventry
    The concept of drop is a bit artificial amongst Italian tailoring companies.

In principle, the concept is the same of UK/US sizing but applied to half-measures of chest and waist. For example: a size 50 (100 cm = 40'' chest) in a drop 6 will come with trousers having half waist measuring 50 - 6 = 44 cm, that is to say a total waist of 88 cm = about 34.5''.

In the practice the term drop is more often used to classify the overall fit of the jacket, in particular shoulder-chest-waist ration. This use is unfortunately not formalised and varies from maker to maker but as a guide:

drop 4 = stout figure/portly fit
    drop 6 = regular figure/classic fit (normal shoulders, normal waist)
    drop 7 = slim figure/tailored fit (narrow shoulders, narrow waist)
    drop 8 = athletic figure/slim fit (wide shoulder, very narrow waist)

It is very difficult to give general rules as they change from maker to maker. Most houses label each of their pattern blocks by the drop number so this becomes more an indicator of fit than size in these cases.

Matt S, JBierly and cosmotoast like this.