[Can't Afford MTM] Best Classic 100% wool suit for under £200?

The Dandy

Inactive user
As strange as that may sound, people have been telling me that the best option would be to look for a school outfitter... I looked at Billings and Edmonds but i'm not quite certain that's a good idea. The suit should fit me quite well which none of those that i currently own does (I have a lot of pain in my shoulders, this is why i always have a sort of bump near the neck area when i wear a blazer or coat... I had to get a Blazer worked on several times by RL before it looked appropriate and it still isn't perfect, there's always this one thing i am desperate! Ah i wish i could afford a made to measure suit!), it should be classic and conservative looking. I am quite small at 60 kg and 1m73. I want something that lasts, that doesn't have a gram of artificial fabrics in it and doesn't make me sweat like a horse. Quite hard to find, no? Well, i would prefer getting something now, but otherwise if i wait until say September i will be able to afford something for £500-600 more or less. Thanks for your advice i appreciate it!

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Marks & Spencers or get yourself to Bicester Village, suits starting from under £100 (if you do not have a car, get the train from Marylebone Station).

If you choose the latter, worth while calling a few of the stores to find out if they have your size - Pal Zileri, Hackett, Hugo Boss, Gieves & Hawkes, Ralph Lauren and there are the designer options like McQueen and D&G (if you like the style).

I did the same and the stores were helpful, I picked up a Pal Zileri sports jacket for £213. They had a quite a few options, especially in light weight 100% wool cloth.

The Dandy

Inactive user
Gieves & Hawkes and Ralph Lauren would be just right if i could afford it! I remember my girlfriend buying a £1000 Blazer from them for me! :cry: I'll look into the other stores which you have mentioned, with the exeption of Marks & Spencer, they don't do my size and all their suits (At least the ones i have seen) are made with 20% of man made fabrics.

DougNZ

Advanced Member
New Zealand
Hawkes Bay
Hastings
Most seem to start at around £250, but still nice option! Thanks. Have you ever ordered something from them? Are they good?
I have had four suits from them, each with two pairs of trousers. Because the customer supplies the measurements one must use a tailor for a few alterations to improve fit and then fine tune with each successive purchase. The three season is perfectly fine for day-on-day wear but much better made and lots cheaper than I can get in these parts. There are a few tips one should know with Baronboutique so if you are interested, let me know. The service is superb and they will happily send swatches.

robm

Slaters should be able to meet your requirements, though not sure how close any of them are to you.