Miket61

Advanced Member
(This might get moved to the Interchange...)

I've long lamented the fact that for many social situations, the dress code seems to be "not naked." People throw something on the top half of their body, and something on the bottom half of their body, and something on their feet, and they're ready to start the day.

Now that the weather is warmer, I'm seeing more and more people wearing cargo shorts. Usually, they have dangly drawstrings at the hems.

The idea behind cargo pants is that they have pockets to conveniently carry all the things that one needs when travelling in the wild - first aid kit, fishing line, pocketknife, compass, etc.

So, if you're going to wear pants that suggest that you'll be wading through swamps, walking through tall grass, and fending off ticks, snakes, bears, and other nasties, why would you want to be uncovered from the knees down?

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
So, if you're going to wear pants that suggest that you'll be wading through swamps, walking through tall grass, and fending off ticks, snakes, bears, and other nasties, why would you want to be uncovered from the knees down?
I have seen several cargo pants that have a zip or buttons, so that people can turn the pants into shorts. Maybe this has helped path the way for cargo shorts. Although I think the main reason is the style has become more popular, like people wearing trench coats or short trench coats on non-rainy days.
Cargo shorts have a function too, people can put things in them, keys, pocket-knife, sunglasses/glasses case, etc.

Personally, I think adults should only wear shorts for sports, the gym, the beach, etc. not as general wear.

Fiat Justicia

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The idea behind cargo pants is that they have pockets to conveniently carry all the things that one needs when travelling in the wild - first aid kit, fishing line, pocketknife, compass, etc.

I can't think of a piece of clothing more odious than cargo shorts, but it doesn't make much sense to view --and I hesitate to use this word in this context-- fashion in such functionalist terms. I don't suppose you wear your brogues in the boglands, do you? No more than you wear grenades on your trenchcoat's d-rings, I'd think. ;)

Flashy

United States
VA
Northern
(This might get moved to the Interchange...)

The British army wore shorts in the tropic, jungles and rain forests at least until the 1950s. The Desert Rats and SAS in North Africa, later in Malaya. Not cargo shorts, but they were walking through tall grass, and fending off ticks, snakes, bears and other nasties uncovered from the knees down except for wool socks. I am not endorsing cargo shorts by any means

StevenRocks

Rocky Mount
United States
Virginia
Rocky Mount
Cargo shorts are kind of anti-fashion, but I have to admit to wearing them causally. They're functional, and I can pull them off at my age.

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I wear cargo shorts when I'm hiking somewhere with little or no shade - rocky outcroppings, mountains, hills and the like - during hot weather. The pockets do come in handy.

Occasionally I'll wear them cycling.

Apart from functional use, I find them a bit bulky and inconvenient for other "shorts activities" like sports or hanging around the house in the summer; I wear traditional "chino" shorts (or whatever they're called) then.

That said, I can't say it bothers me when I see others wearing them around town.

DH

busstuf

Starting Member
United States
IL
Woodstock
Cargo Shorts

Where they excel, is at sporting events where you need the front pockets to hold things. For this and so many other purposes they are the right garment to wear.

rmcnabb

I admit to a cargo shorts addiction, and I have found some at Cabela's that are perfect. I've probably bought a dozen pairs over the years. Well designed, well made, essential for hiking and backpacking and fishing and catching a movie or going for ice cream or getting the oil changed. I'm not landed gentry, and dressing like I am doesn't fool anyone when I go to the store for milk.:icon_smile_big:

Shorts are incredibly practical in the bush, and the worse the terrain, the more practical they get. For one thing, they're cool in the heat. For another, if you're really going through muddy wet country, you don't have to worry about the legs of your pants being filthy and wet. If you're walking through thorn country, your pants will soon be torn to shreds anyway, so dispense with the legs and keep the part you need.

It's not what this forum is about, really, but cargo shorts are in fact very practical and comfortable and I'll always have a half dozen pair on hand. I'm talking about practical ones - not the costumey silly ones with useless tie straps hanging off of them.

Beresford

United States
Hawaii
Honolulu
Well, me lad, as one who has grown up in a tropical clime oft wearing the aforementioned shorts, I would say you would rather have on shorts that let you see the leeches hanging on your leg, or centipede crawling up it, so you can take appropriate steps to get them off. With long pants, especially with centipedes, they tend to run up the inside, biting as they go, until they get to very sensitive places indeed.

Last edited:
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts