United States
New Jersey
Holmdel

HolmdelTom

Starting Member
United States
New Jersey
Holmdel
I would check out Garfinkel’s entry on Wikipedia for more information on the Miller & Rhoads chain. The Miller & Rhoads chain was acquired by Garfinkels, a Washington DC based department store chain that controlled Brooks Brothers, in 1967. In 1981 Garfinkels acquired the Ann Taylor chain and the same year Garfinkels was acquired by the Allied Corporation. In 1986, Campeau corporation acquired the Allied Corporation. The Miller & Rhoads chain entered bankruptcy in 1989 and most of the store locations were closed. Some store locations were sold to the May corporation and rebranded as Hecht’s and later the Hecht name was changes to Macys

frpax

Starting Member
United States
Idaho
Boise
Bit of an old thread revival here...

I'm new to the forum. I also have a Carl Michaels grey wool blazer.
From my research, the old Seattle-based "The Bon" (also The Bon Marché) were the ones who sold this brand.

It appears that in 1990, Federated Department Stores (they are the parent company for Macy's & Bloomindale's) bought out The Bon Marché and the stores were re-branded Bon-Macy's and by 2005, they were all renamed just "Macy's".

drpeter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
Thanks, @frpax. I'll do some searching on The Bon and Bon Marché . The serpentine complexities of business acquisitions and mergers help to lead us a merry chase! One ends up learning a lot about the history of clothing companies and their vicissitudes.