Flanderian

Connoisseur
Or those could simply be pictures of the front ends of the sources of my last couple pairs of shell cordovan footwear. Just a thought! LOL. ;)
They could, though SWMBO sometimes describes me as the opposite end. 😢

Equine motifs are solidly within the genre of Essex Crystal sporting links, though Oldsarge has a hate-on for the theme. I've always liked horses, while at the same time being a bit intimidated by them. I'd need to spend more time around one to get feel for him.

My grandfather used to keep a couple teams for deliveries, and the stable was around the block. As a girl, my mother would sometimes visit and feed them sugar cubes, or an apple.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
They could, though SWMBO sometimes describes me as the opposite end. 😢

Equine motifs are solidly within the genre of Essex Crystal sporting links, though Oldsarge has a hate-on for the theme. I've always liked horses, while at the same time being a bit intimidated by them. I'd need to spend more time around one to get feel for him.

My grandfather used to keep a couple teams for deliveries, and the stable was around the block. As a girl, my mother would sometimes visit and feed them sugar cubes, or an apple.
Egad, I never liked horses, but the daughters did. So for a decade or so, I paid to shelter them, I spent more on farrier fees than I did on shoes for myself, more on vet bills than on Doctors fees, I cleaned out stalls and went to work smelling like a barn, I was kicked and stepped on several times and on one rather humiliating moment, I was bitten in the ass. Permit me to repeat myself, I am not fond of horses! LOL. :crazy:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Egad, I never liked horses, but the daughters did. So for a decade or so, I paid to shelter them, I spent more on farrier fees than I did on shoes for myself, more on vet bills than on Doctors fees, I cleaned out stalls and went to work smelling like a barn, I was kicked and stepped on several times and on one rather humiliating moment, I was bitten in the ass. Permit me to repeat myself, I am not fond of horses! LOL. :crazy:
:laughing:

Given your experiences, your antipathy is entirely reasonable. My trepidation apparently well founded.

Still, there seems to be especially a girl/woman bond between them and horses. Know a couple of mature women for whom they're as important as family. No, check that! More so.

One operates a carriage/sled tour business with a half dozen huge Belgians and Percherons. Ostensibly as a living, but in reality, more as her pets. She describes with delight the peril of the farriers who risk being crushed against the stall by a one ton Belgian! :eek:

Can't blame these guys for not working cheap.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
The flies and their intended victims, or dinner...whichever you prefer! ;)
Tasty, but luxuriant! These handsome links were auctioned not long ago with a pre-sale estimate of $1,000 to $1,500. They sold for slightly more than $4,000. :oops:

While not an angler, I believe the fish depicted in a Rainbow Trout. NJ has creeks and rivers with 3 species, Rainbow, Brook and Brown, but only the Brown Trout is indigenous. NJ Fish and Game has a couple of trout farms for stocking fish for sports fishermen.

The trout is evidently a robust fish, as they seem to persist and proliferate. There's a very little creek that runs down the cut in the hill (1,100 ft.) I live atop. It's not more a 4" or 5" deep at most, and rarely more than a few feet wide. It's perhaps a circuitous dozen miles before it enters a small river.

A subdivision around which my wife enjoys walking has an entry to the highway that goes over this little creek. Its bridge is about 18' wide and perhaps a dozen long, and beneath it commonly shelter trout, some 6" or 7" long, though I do not know which species. As this little stream originates in the little remaining woodland, and in tract housing, I find this both remarkable and delightful.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.