Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
This is a topic that constantly surfaces here. I've always loved buying ties, which is why I still possess a lifetime supply many years after purchasing my last, and hence am not in the market. But window (On-line) shopping is both fun and relatively harmless. (I hope! :eek:) And I can't help but notice that my one-time go-to source for neckwear, Paul Stuart, is now following the venerable Japanese tradition of retail pricing, namely, an assault on public decency, with ties now pricing upward toward $200. While I fully realize that the target market for this merchandise is likely pleased by such outlandish pricing, (May even ask if they could pay more! :crazy:) but I would never be able to respect myself in the morning were I to countenance such a public flogging!

So for the heck of it (I swear! :fool:) I decided to see what The Bay had to offer in Paul Stuart neckwear. And I'm astonished to report that any man could assemble a smashing neckwear wardrobe for a comparative song. Handsome, new looking ties for 1/3 to 1/5 of new retail. And the fact that most of these ties are in the until recently unfashionable 3" to 3.5" width range is just icing on the cake.

:happy:

Now my interest currently lies in a more rustic aesthetic and will feature those, but other prints, while purchased formerly, are virtually identical to what is now being sold in Milan.

Many of these ties are under $20 -

1568416392757.png

This is embroidered silk on silk/wool. I once had such a similar rustic tie from Stuart.

1568416461552.png

1568416588258.png

1568416623848.png

Last edited:

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I fully concur.

I have only purchased one new tie in the last 10 years, a splurge in Birmingham Alabama on the way to a job interview. All the rest have been high end like new ties on eBay for less than $25 shipping included.

I have beautiful ties and if they get stained, no worries.

Cheers,

BSR

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
I love the bay for ties. You just have to be patient and not worry too much about specifics. Every once in a while you find a gem.

I started looking for sport coats a few years back in an effort to dress more sharply, then got a suit. I hadn't had a suit in years, so I wanted to learn about them -- that's how I found this place, actually -- and experiment some to get "my" style.

Ties were foreign to me. I owned interview ties from the ill fitting suit I had in the old days, but they were hand me downs. So I decided I shouldn't pay a lot for ties until I knew what I was looking for.

Ebay was the shiznit for this.

I found a guy who was selling his deceased father's clothes. He had a few nice ties listed for really good prices with a note to check as more listed. I wrote him and asked if many more were coming up and he said "Yeah, my dad was a doctor and wore a tie every day. He has dozens." I asked him if he'd just send me a selection and he said "Sure. How about $40?" I figured that'd get me 3 or 4 OK ties, but he ended up sending 10, including two I still wear. I gave a couple to a friend. Sold or passed on the rest as I suddenly had too many ties. It was an amazing bargain, but the guy was generous and happy to help. With those and a few other inexpensive ties I learned a lot for not much money.

Ebay is great for this. It taught me a ton about what I like, what I don't. I got to see colors in person, with my suit, and all the online tutorials about matching squares and ties just don't mean as much as having the fabrics in your hands.

Every once in a while since I have prowled for some color or other I'm interested in trying. I bought a few brand name ties that were as good as new for $20 or less each. Some super fancy ones for twice that, but unless your talking one of the brands that has extra cachet like Hermes you don't need to spend more. Actually, I got a pair of Hermes in a thrift shop in an ritzy nearby town for $40 (total) but that was lucky, they still command some money on the bay.

Nowadays I can't imagine paying retail for these $150-$300 list price ties. If I'm buying new I'll go to Sam Hober and get precisely the length, shape, and knot I want. But that's in the $100 range. I only wear a suit 2 or 3 times a month, and there's no practical difference between a $195 Zegna tie at Nordies and the one from ebay. At least after I have worn it once or twice, they just nice, used ties. Spending more than that doesn't make sense to me.

Here are a few examples. Not a one cost more than $35 (the Massimo Bizocchi might have been $35, I have two and one was cheaper than that) and a few cost less than $20. Zegna, Dormieul, Bizocchi -- this is literally just the first half dozen ties off the end of my tie rack.
20190913_185146.jpg

Winhes2

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
MB
winnipeg
Sometimes on ebay they list blade width as "classic" and define it as a range including narrower than I have in mind as "classic".

Also, sometimes the ties are short. Even under 55".

So, to avoid mild disappointment, ask for exact measurements before purchasing.

During the recent years of skinny lapels and short jackets, ebay, etsy, thrift stores and similar sources were a good way to get reasonably priced classic jackets when the local shops were only stocking the recent fad.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I love the bay for ties. You just have to be patient and not worry too much about specifics. Every once in a while you find a gem.

I started looking for sport coats a few years back in an effort to dress more sharply, then got a suit. I hadn't had a suit in years, so I wanted to learn about them -- that's how I found this place, actually -- and experiment some to get "my" style.

Ties were foreign to me. I owned interview ties from the ill fitting suit I had in the old days, but they were hand me downs. So I decided I shouldn't pay a lot for ties until I knew what I was looking for.

Ebay was the shiznit for this.

I found a guy who was selling his deceased father's clothes. He had a few nice ties listed for really good prices with a note to check as more listed. I wrote him and asked if many more were coming up and he said "Yeah, my dad was a doctor and wore a tie every day. He has dozens." I asked him if he'd just send me a selection and he said "Sure. How about $40?" I figured that'd get me 3 or 4 OK ties, but he ended up sending 10, including two I still wear. I gave a couple to a friend. Sold or passed on the rest as I suddenly had too many ties. It was an amazing bargain, but the guy was generous and happy to help. With those and a few other inexpensive ties I learned a lot for not much money.

Ebay is great for this. It taught me a ton about what I like, what I don't. I got to see colors in person, with my suit, and all the online tutorials about matching squares and ties just don't mean as much as having the fabrics in your hands.

Every once in a while since I have prowled for some color or other I'm interested in trying. I bought a few brand name ties that were as good as new for $20 or less each. Some super fancy ones for twice that, but unless your talking one of the brands that has extra cachet like Hermes you don't need to spend more. Actually, I got a pair of Hermes in a thrift shop in an ritzy nearby town for $40 (total) but that was lucky, they still command some money on the bay.

Nowadays I can't imagine paying retail for these $150-$300 list price ties. If I'm buying new I'll go to Sam Hober and get precisely the length, shape, and knot I want. But that's in the $100 range. I only wear a suit 2 or 3 times a month, and there's no practical difference between a $195 Zegna tie at Nordies and the one from ebay. At least after I have worn it once or twice, they just nice, used ties. Spending more than that doesn't make sense to me.

Here are a few examples. Not a one cost more than $35 (the Massimo Bizocchi might have been $35, I have two and one was cheaper than that) and a few cost less than $20. Zegna, Dormieul, Bizocchi -- this is literally just the first half dozen ties off the end of my tie rack.
View attachment 34755
Very nice!

:beer:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Sometimes on ebay they list blade width as "classic" and define it as a range including narrower than I have in mind as "classic".

Also, sometimes the ties are short. Even under 55".

So, to avoid mild disappointment, ask for exact measurements before purchasing.

During the recent years of skinny lapels and short jackets, ebay, etsy, thrift stores and similar sources were a good way to get reasonably priced classic jackets when the local shops were only stocking the recent fad.
I'm a novice to this market, so this is interesting info. Noticed that more than a few actually include a photo with tape measure displaying the width at the blade. 👍

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
There is a chain of second-hands here in northern New England that prices its ties at $2, on sale days $1. I bought a Canali there recently, then webbed for a similarly patterned one on the Canal site, thar she was, $240. Found these NE outlets about 10 years ago and have spent about $100 there, amassed maybe 75 ties. All quite lovely because as we all know I have impeccable taste. But that's not why I've entered this thread, especially since older-type New Englandies are loath to talk about money. So forget what I just said about what I spent, etc.

I am here to tout additional uses for ties. Such as as pocket squares. Snip, unfold, fold back into a crazy mess, staple, glue or tape (sewing is best, but you won't do that) and vwahlah, etc. Reface and refresh suspender facings with tie silk, rid yourself of those obnoxious Larry King 90s patterns, replace with pin dots, neats, grenadine, repps, etc. When taking up pant legs, bind the turn-ins in tie silk, seen by almost no one, they prevent sock cling to wool pants. Summertime belts, not just loosely tied-up like a schlub, but with a buckle and nib or reface a surcingle. And on and on. Well actually not on and on. That's about it.

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
Most thrift stores price ties at $1-2. I've found a few 7 folds that were very nice--and if I hadn't looked that morning they would have likely been on eBay that afternoon for twenty times as much.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts