cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
Most thrift stores price ties at $1-2. I've found a few 7 folds that were very nice--and if I hadn't looked that morning they would have likely been on eBay that afternoon for twenty times as much.
I found this to be true, too. Though with a caveat, a lot of thrift stores around here don't have many ties. Ever. Maybe I don't go often enough, but if I go to the communities where you're more likely to see people who might wear nicer clothing they appear more often. There are a couple of gems, like the charity shop where I got my Hermes, but yeah, even there it's hit and miss because a few folks down in San Diego farm the same thrift stores to sell on ebay.

And for pocket squares, I have grabbed them for as cheap as $1 a pop at thrift stores. They don't always know what they are so you'll find a fancy silk hand-rolled edge square in a pile of cotton bandanas or women's scarves.

My last ebay score was 9 squares for $35. I was looking for something and saw one of the lot I liked. Bad pics, but 100% rating so... I really don't want most of them, but they'll almost all be used be me or someone. The silk ones all have hand rolled edges, like brand name squares listing for 10x that price new. And except for one (not pictured) with a stain that the seller noted they all look nearly new. I'll definitely use one or two, maybe let my friend take any he wants to wear.
squares3.jpegsquaresclose.jpeg

Winhes2

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
MB
winnipeg
Darn it Flanderian. Now I'm about 30 minutes invested and some liberty of london paisley ties on ebay are on my radar. I don't even wear paisley.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Paisley and ducks!
You bet! Beautiful, intricately woven pattern in jewel tones. I've still got a couple from Stuart of similar make. The quality is staggering. A bravura statement not for the faint of heart. Contrary to how some may think of ties, with this motif it is for wear with fine country clothes, Beautiful herringbone tweeds, or a cheviot checks. Say, brown and cream herringbone, or a charcoal and cream dogstooth check.

Or try this with a tan tweed, or a Solaro cloth -

1569012791964.png

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
I'm not normally into theme ties. But if they're well done like this they're lovely. I'd wear this and I'm NOT a hunter, just because I like the colors. But my buddy who hunts ducks and grouse would just love it.

That said, I do have the Hermes Gliders in the Sky tie in red, and when I saw it in blue had to get it. Yeah, it's themey, but they're also interesting shades if blue and red, and go with pretty much everything.

I got this cheap. There's a pen mark, I popped the colors hard so you can see it, but nobody can see it in person. Especially since I often wear a waistcoat. The tiniest of flaws and you get a tie at 10% of it's price.
navyhermes.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I'm not normally into theme ties. But if they're well done like this they're lovely. I'd wear this and I'm NOT a hunter, just because I like the colors. But my buddy who hunts ducks and grouse would just love it.

That said, I do have the Hermes Gliders in the Sky tie in red, and when I saw it in blue had to get it. Yeah, it's themey, but they're also interesting shades if blue and red, and go with pretty much everything.

I got this cheap. There's a pen mark, I popped the colors hard so you can see it, but nobody can see it in person. Especially since I often wear a waistcoat. The tiniest of flaws and you get a tie at 10% of it's price.
View attachment 35069
I like that tie very well, and I'm often not a fan of Hermes patterns, but that's just a plane (Get it!? :rolleyes:) good lookin' tie! I'm selective about motifs, and planes will always be cool. My boyhood just after WWII initiated my fascination. Still remember the excitement, when probably about 4 looking up into the sky and watching what must have been a war surplus P-38 flying out of our city's airport doing acrobatic maneuvers a few thousand feet above my head.

Last edited:

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
Airplanes were cool enough to me that I earned a commercial ticket in my early 20s with minimum wage jobs and two years working as a line boy at the gliderport. One of those transformational life experiences the lucky amongst us have at that age. So, yeah.

Strangely, I have sailplane cufflinks and you want to talk dog whistles? Someone sitting next to me at an event spotted them and asked if I had flown gliders. He was also a soaring pilot and we had a lovely conversation about it.

I dropped this tie at the cleaners see what they could do about the ink. They're not sanguine, but think they can ease the stain if not make it completely go away, so it's worth a couple of dollars to try.

In real life it's not so saturated as this. My cellphone camera does a bad job of capturing the color, but it's a very soft blue on the light edge of navy. I have darker blue and lighter blue, but nothing this neutral in this shade, and it'll go perfectly with any suit or coat I have. Hermes may be whimsical, but their pale red and pale yellow are also colors like this, strangely versatile and unlike the bolder hues of my Italian ties.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts