Comparing Suit Options at $400 - $600 range

Lawhawk

Starting Member
United States
Texas
Dallas
Gentlemen,

I'm rebuilding a wardrobe after losing too much weight to effectively alter/tailor my custom wardrobe. I'm trying to build my stock back up with reasonably priced but decent quality suits. Below are some options that I am looking at and would welcome any input.

1. Jos A Bank Made to Measure Suits.

I've bought two of these at $450 each. I'm happy with the quality of the fabric and the fit, generally. Not a fan of the shoulder construction, but hard to complain at $450.

2. Jos A Bank Signature Gold Tailored Fit

These seem to range from $350 - $450 and I am assuming they are going to be pretty close to what you get in JAB MTM after you make whatever adjustments are necessary. My understanding is that it is better quality fabric than MTM.

3. Indochino "Luxury" Line

I've bought a couple of their "premium" line in the past. They have a brick-and-morter store nearby and their sales-people there are decent-enough. I had to have a suit remade about 3 times before it fit to my liking. They did that at no charge. I was not impressed by the quality of the fabric, but the suits certainly look stylish. I'm wondering if I step it up to their $500 "luxury" line, would I be happier with the suit overall. My understanding is that their "premium" (lower) line is super 100s and 110s and their luxury (higher) line is super 130s and 140s.

4. Off-Saks Off-the-rack

I'm looking at Versace Collection and Hickey Freeman at about $450 per suit. Unfamiliar with the suits and the quality you get in these lines at Off-Saks.

5. Other options

I welcome other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
First of all, congratulation on your weight loss. You’re healthier for it and this is one wardrobe problem that I’m sure you don’t mind quite as much.

OTR options would be to wait for Brooks Brothers to offer a 2/$$$ offer (assuming they still do those) or hit up the off prices options.

I’ve heard good things here about Joseph Abboud made to measure at Men’s Wearhouse though I have to experience personally. I’m not even sure if the price point is within your budget.

I’d pass on Versace but if you find a mainline Hickey-Freeman at that price, I’d say go for it.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Congrats on the weight loss - that's not easy to do - kudos to you.

Another brand to consider in that price range is J.Crew. I own one of its suits and several of its sport coats and, for the money (on sale - always wait for the regular occurring 30% [or more] off sales), they are solid value.

Don't be put off by the super-slim or short looks on some of the models, I buy my regular 40L size and they are not super slim nor short.

Shawl Lapel

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
DC Area
DC Area
Spier and Mackay is in that price range and they have good materials and features for the price.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
If you like a Trad 3/2 sack, the good folk at J. Press have some great deals when they do their seasonal markdowns. A tad pricier and rarely on sale but still extremely nice suits are the O’Connell’s house brand and their H. Freeman offerings. For summerweight suits, I’m a fan of the poplins and seersuckers at Hunter and Coggins. Proud of you.

Lawhawk

Starting Member
United States
Texas
Dallas
Thank you for the replies. I'm still at about a 48 chest, so I have a little more work to do before I can shop at a few of these places. I'll check back after I get something and let you all know how it went. Thanks!

Troones

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Good for you. I lost over 40 pounds in the past year. It all started with a bout of food poisoning! So I did the same as you're doing now. From suggestions on this very site I discovered J Press (as TKI67 mentioned) and found that they fit me incredibly well. So that's my go-to brand now. As noted, you can get some good deals during their sales. In my opinion, they're worth it even at full price. Though I know a bit higher than your target price range.

TheDlABlO

First of all, congratulation on your weight loss. You’re healthier for it and this is one wardrobe problem that I’m sure you don’t mind quite as much.

OTR options would be to wait for Brooks Brothers to offer a 2/$$$ offer (assuming they still do those) or hit up the off prices options.

I’ve heard good things here about Joseph Abboud made to measure at Men’s Wearhouse though I have to experience personally. I’m not even sure if the price point is within your budget.

I’d pass on Versace but if you find a mainline Hickey-Freeman at that price, I’d say go for it.

eatliftinvest

Starting Member
United States
New York
New York
I searched the forum and haven't seen any discussion of the newly released (as far as I can tell) BrooksGate line of suit separates at this price point. Could this be a suitable option for Lawhawk?

I was also in need of a workhorse suit in my collection after some weight change, so I just ordered one today to try it out. It's not carried in any of the NYC stores where I am based.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksGate-Suit-Separates/men-brooksgate,default,sc.html

eatliftinvest

Starting Member
United States
New York
New York
I searched the forum and haven't seen any discussion of the newly released (as far as I can tell) BrooksGate line of suit separates at this price point. Could this be a suitable option for Lawhawk?

I was also in need of a workhorse suit in my collection after some weight change, so I just ordered one today to try it out. It's not carried in any of the NYC stores where I am based.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksGate-Suit-Separates/men-brooksgate,default,sc.html
Here is the BB twitter announcement about it.
https://twitter.com/BrooksBrothers/status/1103686660649295874