eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^A new belt
is not the answer for an exploding midriff. Combine a pair of pants that fit with a nice pair of Braces/Suspenders. You might look a bit on the curmogeny side, but you will be more comfortable! :(

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
[W]hen your body starts asking you for a more generous wardrobe, *don't listen*. Once you accommodate "middle aged spread" - which is hardly the inevitability it's made out to be - there's no going back! DH
So true about middle-age spread not being inevitable. A relatively slim waistline can be maintained throughout life, though doing so will probably mean that you'll need to habitually eat less than in your younger days.

The actor Gary Cooper said that whenever be noticed he was gaining weight, he'd simply cut back on the food until he was down to the weight he wanted. "I push back from the groceries" is how he put it.

Jack Lord, the star of "Hawaii Five-O" (the REAL "Hawaii Five-0"--the one that ran from 1968 to 1980) always looked in shape. He said that whenever his wife noticed that his waistline was thickening, she'd feed him nothing but papaya for dinner until he had slimmed back down.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Hmmn...The Papaya diet? I had not heard of that one, though I have used the orange diet and the cabbage diet. I think the only real majoc related to those "one item" diets is that you get so sick of that one item that you largely quit eating all together! LOL. ;) Gary Coopers "push back from the groceries diet maks workable sense.

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
So true about middle-age spread not being inevitable. A relatively slim waistline can be maintained throughout life, though doing so will probably mean that you'll need to habitually eat less than in your younger days.

The actor Gary Cooper said that whenever be noticed he was gaining weight, he'd simply cut back on the food until he was down to the weight he wanted. "I push back from the groceries" is how he put it.

Jack Lord, the star of "Hawaii Five-O" (the REAL "Hawaii Five-0"--the one that ran from 1968 to 1980) always looked in shape. He said that whenever his wife noticed that his waistline was thickening, she'd feed him nothing but papaya for dinner until he had slimmed back down.
I found myself hitting my all-time high weight at the age of 48 and decided to do something about it before it became entrenched. I slimmed down over the course of 2 years. Now at 62 I am still maintaining that weight, but it takes some work. One big change I made that helps significantly was dropping breakfast, and not increasing the size of lunch and dinner.

London380sl

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Low rise jeans will likely solve the drooping jeans issue but it's going look terrible as your waistline will be pooling over the top of your jeans - the dreaded muffin top look ( left).
muffin top.jpg

High rise jeans are better alternatives but the best one is simply to lose the weight which is easier said than done.

Middle age spread is not an inevitability. In university I wore 32" waist paints. Thirty some years later I'm still a 32. My secret - exercise, eat sensibly, avoid processed foods, and watch my weight. If it starts creeping up its time to start reducing my food intake.

Last edited:

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina

Cooper's advice was the worst thing I've ever tried.

As a slim guy who tried that, I constantly felt hungry and my weight wouldn't budge after slowly increasing over the years, and I felt awful too.

Consistent exercise has me feeling better and keeps my stomach flat.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Cooper's advice was the worst thing I've ever tried. As a slim guy who tried that, I constantly felt hungry and my weight wouldn't budge after slowly increasing over the years, and I felt awful too.
"Cutting back on food" is a matter of degrees. How much were you cutting back?

Consistent exercise has me feeling better and keeps my stomach flat.
At age 64 (soon), I have a stomach that is as flat as a board. Consistent exercise and sensible long-term eating habits are the things that have worked for me. If exercise alone has enabled you to stay trim, that's great!

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina

At age 64 (soon), I have a stomach that is as flat as a board. Consistent exercise and sensible long-term eating habits are the things that have worked for me. If exercise alone has enabled you to stay trim, that's great!
Probably about 200-300 calories a day. I never bothered to specifically count though.

Final paragraph I can definitely 100% agree with.

Congratulations on your achievement Charles, you earned it!

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale

At age 70 for five months and two days, Samuel L. Jackson also has a stomach that’s as flat as a board (with six pack abs), as do the woman in my avatar at age 40 for three months and two days (now that she lost all of her pregnancy weight and without six pack abs; my avatar clearly reflects all of this as do the episodes of 9-1-1 in the last third of season 2) and the husband of the woman in my avatar (with six pack abs) five months and eight days away from age 41.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
At age 70 for five months and two days, Samuel L. Jackson also has a stomach that’s as flat as a board (with six pack abs), as do the woman in my avatar at age 40 for three months and two days (now that she lost all of her pregnancy weight and without six pack abs; my avatar clearly reflects all of this as do the episodes of 9-1-1 in the last third of season 2) and the husband of the woman in my avatar (with six pack abs) five months and eight days away from age 41.
Who is that person displayed as your avatar?

Do forgive me this appalling ignorance, @Mike Petrik and I share a cave together and we do not get out much.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts