Cool '50s Illustrations from Ivy's Heyday

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Fading Fast, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I stumbled across this illustration - a Coke ad from 1957 - and thought it would be neat to attempt to get a thread going on illustrations of Ivy clothes (kinda like what Flanderian is doing with Vintage Esquire illustrations over on the other side of the house).

And, if not, this one with its OCBD, ski and V-neck sweaters, khakis, argyle socks and Weejuns is fun just by itself. Also, clearly, Coke wanted to position itself as cool, so this is more evidence that the cool kids of the '50s were dressing in Ivy.

Many years ago, I dated a blonde who said a black turtleneck is a blonde's best friend - no argument from me.

6f0fd2b966bacb86d06ac3d451a37eee.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Peak and Pine likes this.
  2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Great illustration!

Thanks!

3. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Proving that you can take the boy out of New Jersey, but not New Jersey out of the boy, when my girlfriend and I go to the racetrack (1st clue New Jersey's still in the boy), we bring along a flask of rum to spike up the Cokes (2nd clue).

Sitting in Grandstand seats at Belmont adding Captain Morgan to track-purchased Cokes is not something to be proud of, but it is very New Jersey.

4. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    That's god's truth... and it doesn't matter if a woman is big or small, a black turtleneck does the job.

Fading Fast likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Tab-collar shirt, sack suit, macintosh casually draped over one arm and nubile blonde over the other - flying ain't what it used to be.
    b71272b90c40378eff708e94ae03c36c.jpg
    N.B. The lining on her raincoat is very cool.

peterc and FiscalDean like this.
  6. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    ^ That painting reminds me of many such images which appeared in early issues of Playboy illustrating the exciting single playboy lifestyle or something like that. It's amazing how ubiquitous Pan Am was at one point, now only old-timers know the brand.

7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    As a little kid in the late '60s, I have a vague memory of somebody in our neighborhood taking an airplane trip - it was still a big deal back then, at least in my not fancy-or-wealthy town - and seeing that little blue Pan Am bag and thinking how cool it was.

8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    If you've not seen it, you might enjoy Spielberg's "small" 2002 film, Catch Me if You Can with DiCaprio as the young protagonist. Just a well made, solid and entertaining film set in the era. Fine cast and excellent performances throughout, but perhaps most astonishing, it's largely true.

Obviously, I'm a big fan. :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    ⇧ haven't seen it, but will be on the outlook now - thank you for the tip.

10. rl1856

rl1856 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    South Carolina
    Charleston
    Inspiration for Don and Betty Draper.

Fading Fast likes this.