United States
New Jersey
Flanders

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Wow! Great ads, and great clothes. Once-upon-a-time, if you wanted a quality, stylish raincoat that would last forever, you bought a Burberry or Aquascutum. Aquascutum never achieved (?) the cult status of Burberry, but they were at least every bit as good.
As someone who owned both Aquascutum raincoats and suits- I concur and would add, because Aquascutum didn't have that cult status, it offered much more value.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Now you are talkin! Trench Coats and from whom I consider to be the two very best manufacturers. I haven't directly experienced an Aquascutum, but I'm now working on wearing out my second Burberry. Paraphrasing the late, great Elvis in his song Hound Dog, "They said the coats would last a lifetime, but that was just a lie!" My first Burberry did in fact wear out, or perhaps I should say it was more than showing it's age....and lookin like a "hound dog!" :(

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Now you are talkin! Trench Coats and from whom I consider to be the two very best manufacturers. I haven't directly experienced an Aquascutum, but I'm now working on wearing out my second Burberry. Paraphrasing the late, great Elvis in his song Hound Dog, "They said the coats would last a lifetime, but that was just a lie!" My first Burberry did in fact wear out, or perhaps I should say it was more than showing it's age....and lookin like a "hound dog!" :(
I never owned the Burberry iconic trench, but did own a wool overcast from Burberry that lasted through twenty years of very hard wear (with one relining). I lost it in a basement storage-room fire, but to be honest, it was shot - threadbare at the cuffs and collar and had lost its shape, but was still good to throw on over a pair of jeans and sweater to run errands.

EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
Wow! Great ads, and great clothes. Once-upon-a-time, if you wanted a quality, stylish raincoat that would last forever, you bought a Burberry or Aquascutum. Aquascutum never achieved (?) the cult status of Burberry, but they were at least every bit as good.
As someone who owned both Aquascutum raincoats and suits- I concur and would add, because Aquascutum didn't have that cult status, it offered much more value
A bit flip on my part, but could Burberry’s success over Aquascutum be in part attributable to its being an easier name to pronounce and remember?

Regards,

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
A bit flip on my part, but could Burberry’s success over Aquascutum be in part attributable to its being an easier name to pronounce and remember?

Regards,
Maybe, but I do know this, Burberry is much easier to spell - I don't think I've ever just typed out Aquascutum right on the first try.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
More from, as EponymousFunk would say, Aqua-, uh uh, Acqua-, uh, uh, that raincoat company:
f44b40c1471ef2ea845425fa909c1a2c.jpg

Love the bold herringbone pattern.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts