eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
And now some true old-school illustration skills on display
View attachment 39018
With those classic automobiles in the background and the older gentleman talking with the younger, today's illustration is reminiscent of the photographs on the back covers of their novels of Clive Cussler and his son, Dirk, talking, as they frame the front end of one of the classic automobiles in their collection. Well done, sir! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
With those classic automobiles in the background and the older gentleman talking with the younger, today's illustration is reminiscent of the photographs on the back covers of their novels of Clive Cussler and his son, Dirk, talking, as they frame the front end of one of the classic automobiles in their collection. Well done, sir! ;)
Spot on, as an old-time Clive Cussler fan, I know exactly the covers you are referring to.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
So, a few things. Note the high rise of the pants. Also, even though we see it in old ads all the time, it's still a bit jarring when you see someone smoking in one.

And from the "fine store" copy at the bottom, it's funny to think of Paul Stuart carrying Grant as the store today is much higher end (but based on what I've read, when it started, it was more like Press or Brooks).

Lastly, I grew up in New Brunswick NJ (now that, that fact is out, if you soon stop seeing posts from me, it's probably because I got a discrete email from AAAC management about its "standards" and corporate "reputation" explaining why my posting privileges are being revoked) and don't remember a "Luke's" or "Lobe's" men's store - must have closed down before the '70s as the town isn't that big.
9af3c37d9682cf2b12921494be6e0ea9.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
So, a few things. Note the high rise of the pants. Also, even though we see it in old ads all the time, it's still a bit jarring when you see someone smoking in one.

And from the "fine store" copy at the bottom, it's funny to think of Paul Stuart carrying Grant as the store today is much higher end (but based on what I've read, when it started, it was more like Press or Brooks).

Lastly, I grew up in New Brunswick NJ (now that, that fact is out, if you soon stop seeing posts from me, it's probably because I got a discrete email from AAAC management about its "standards" and corporate "reputation" explaining why my posting privileges are being revoked) and don't remember a "Luke's" or "Lobe's" men's store - must have closed down before the '70s as the town isn't that big.
View attachment 39048
Great ad, and great illustration! So evocative of the period, right down to the cancer-stick.

Once-upon-a-time, Gant BD's were nothing to be sneered at! In the hierarchy of common RTW shirt brands, perhaps with Hathaway at the top, Gant was upper-middle level quality. In the mid '60's when I started wearing suits for business I became obsessed with finding the brand with the best cut BD collar. The winner of my informal search was Gant. Just the right size for neckwear of the era, always with the perfect role.

New Brunswick, huh!? Ahh - the suburbs!!! (It's all comparative. ;))

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Great ad, and great illustration! So evocative of the period, right down to the cancer-stick.

Once-upon-a-time, Gant BD's were nothing to be sneered at! In the hierarchy of common RTW shirt brands, perhaps with Hathaway at the top, Gant was upper-middle level quality. In the mid '60's when I started wearing suits for business I became obsessed with finding the brand with the best cut BD collar. The winner of my informal search was Gant. Just the right size for neckwear of the era, always with the perfect role.

New Brunswick, huh!? Ahh - the suburbs!!! (It's all comparative. ;))
Cool color on the OCBD in the era. You really touched the end of the era; I just saw the embers when I started building a wardrobe in the '80s.

New Brunswick as a town, I'm told as I haven't been there in decades, has come back somewhat with both Rutgers University (its main campus) and Johnson and Johnson (its corporate headquarters) money, but it was in bad shape in the '70s.

The few cool things about it is that it was a real town, and an old one - a main street at the center of the "business/shopping" district with a movie house, etc., and with small houses and modest apartment buildings within walking distance. Also, it was on a river and, more importantly, it was/is a mainline stop on the old Pennsylvania railroad.

Hence, even in my day, in addition to commuter trains, we got Amtrak service direct to NYC north and Philly, Washington and Baltimore to the south. The architecture from its pre-WWII heyday was very cool - albeit, in disrepair by the '70s - which helped you to feel its former glory.

Its funny, I guess it is a suburb of NYC, but being an old town, it never felt like suburbia to me - just "old town." I know I've mentioned this before, but growing up there - even though it was only an hour or so away from NYC - NYC seemed like Oz, a place to dream about going, but somewhere most of us would never get to.

My goal, hell or high water, was to get out and get to NYC; a goal I reminded myself of at 5:22am (yup, that was my train for my first job out of college to make it to work by 7am), standing on a frozen wind-whipped platform knowing I'd be lucky to be getting off the 7:10pm that night.

Last reminiscence for this post - about twenty years later, I took an Amtrak down to Washington as part of a Wall Street committee meeting with the SEC - it was an incredibly odd feeling to see New Brunswick fly by (the Acela didn't stop in New Brunswick) all those years later.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
8e6e522d2a1efd9f1d461e0dc8bde6b9.jpg

Notice the guy in the red shirt: he's wearing (what look like) grey wool trousers, my favorite "lost" classic to anchor a casual outfit. "Lost" as in men, unfortunately, just don't wear them casually anymore.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders