Flanderian

Connoisseur
Almost anytime I've bought from the UK, it's like we've time warped backed to the Clipper Ship days and anything under a few months seems fast.
As a generality, true. But it's certainly not universally true. Haven't purchased much from Peter Christian, but recall it arriving well within a week. And incredible as it may seem, I typically get something ordered from Herring within 48 hours! :eek:

But then, we can contrast that to a Shipton and Heneage order that took over a month.

This is what I’ve thought. Herring gets me shoes in a couple of days via DHL for £20. I’ve bought items from Chester Jeffries and Equus that, while they take a while, are a fraction of what Cordings wants for shipping.
In fairness, perhaps I should have instead observed that it seems they don't wish to sell to anyone outside the UK. If I recall correctly, their confiscatory shipping charge applies to any such orders.

blue suede shoes

I have spoken with the sales reps at Cordings over the phone several times and they seem to be quite enthusiastic about selling to Americans. I would highly recommend because their quality is high.

Maybe in a little while you will find some bargain cords at the Brooks Brothers going out of business sale.

Last edited:

never behind

I have spoken with the sales reps at Cordings over the phone several times and they seem to be quite enthusiastic about selling to Americans. I would highly recommend because their quality is high.

Maybe in a little while you will find some bargain cords at the Brooks Brothers going out of business sale.
So my casual browsing got around to BB and I found some all cotton cords up to 70% off in their Golden Fleece line. Not much info online so I called. They couldn’t even tell me the wale, much less the rise. :fool:

Guess I’ll order and see what I get.

never behind

I got the cords today. Nice tan/beige color. Super soft and silky. But talk about a lightweight fabric. Doesn’t feel much more substantial than my 3 season Santorelli serge trousers from Nordstrom or maybe my tropical wools. There’s no way I can wear these in the winter. Maybe they could be a fall/spring trouser. I’m not sure if I’ll keep these or just return and use the money towards some heavy cords at O’Connell’s.
B2E008A9-579A-4BD2-A810-BCBFB07A8ADD.jpeg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I got the cords today. Nice tan/beige color. Super soft and silky. But talk about a lightweight fabric. Doesn’t feel much more substantial than my 3 season Santorelli serge trousers from Nordstrom or maybe my tropical wools. There’s no way I can wear these in the winter. Maybe they could be a fall/spring trouser. I’m not sure if I’ll keep these or just return and use the money towards some heavy cords at O’Connell’s.
View attachment 46625
If you're planning on any extended longevity, I don't think you'll find it in these. Lightweight, ultra soft corduroy usually means ultra quick wear, unfortunately. :(

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Thanks for the tip. That’s not what I’m looking for!
Do they look light, or just feel light? If just the feel, you can wear them in year-end weather with long john bottoms. Not finding those at a decent price, pajama bottoms (seriously) or the like will work. Tuck into socks. (I would never recommend crazyness unless I had participated in that crazyness myself.)

never behind

Do they look light, or just feel light? If just the feel, you can wear them in year-end weather with long john bottoms. Not finding those at a decent price, pajama bottoms (seriously) or the like will work. Tuck into socks. (I would never recommend crazyness unless I had participated in that crazyness myself.)
They are light. When I hold them up to the light, they are relatively transparent. Not as much as my tropical and hopsack trousers, but fairly close.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
They are light. When I hold them up to the light, they are relatively transparent. Not as much as my tropical and hopsack trousers, but fairly close.
That is not a characteristic I would have wanted in any of my corduroys, back when we lived in Valparaiso, IN. I suspect they will be too chilly to wear even in the early Spring and late Fall. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
That is not a characteristic I would have wanted in any of my corduroys, back when we lived in Valparaiso, IN. I suspect they will be too chilly to wear even in the early Spring and late Fall. ;)
Agreed. If it's hot, I go to super light but that's only about two months a year up here in The Rain. When I want corduroy, I'm looking for protection for my aging bones. Lightweight corduroy is an oxymoron.

delicious_scent

I prefer lightweight corduroy because I run pretty hot. For me, they're basically "chinos, but with way more texture."

The higher quality thicker ones with more sheen look too oddly formal for my uses.

It seems like cords vary a lot in quality/thickness, whereas moleskin has a lot less variation, and even the lighter ones are still fairly thick and dense.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.